TP-Link ER7206 VPN Bypass for Specific Ports or Destination IPs?

2024-06-11 14:57:38 - last edited 2024-06-12 03:11:20
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20240324

For personal privacy I like to use a series of third-party VPNs on my router to protect all devices connected to it. For general use this works extremely well. For online games, it does not. I have frequent connection issues, rubberbanding, disconnects, etc. I have similar issues with streaming. With a computer and the VPN's apps, it's easy to bypass specific programs. With TP-Link, it's not so simple.

I'd like to use the TP-Link's built in tools for VPN management, but I'd like to allow bypasses for specific destination ports and IP ranges. I'm not very familiar with the way TP-Link's routing works.

How can I accomplish this, if at all?

Thank you

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link ER7206 VPN Bypass for Specific Ports or Destination IPs?-Solution
2024-06-12 03:11:05 - last edited 2024-06-12 03:13:40

Hi @PL459 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

First, any third-party VPN unless they are dedicated and optimized for gaming, or they will definitely get you bad connections in the game experience.

They don't optimize the lines from your end to the server. Usually, it will route to unnecessary points and making it have more points and getting more possibility to lag or lose packets.

We don't have any guarantee for this kind of setup. And no routers can guarantee this and it is mainly about the service you purchased/used.

For the third-party VPN, we don't have any recommendations or compatibility guarantees. Our router is more likely to be a device to provide you with VPN service while you are not at home or on a trip.

We currently don't support Wireguard/OVPN policy routing. For the connection, you are limited to all or certain subsets. Cannot define the ports.

VPN apps may heist your CA cert to get traffic filtered or routed. The CA cert hijack is common in the game VPN apps which is helping to route the gaming traffic over the tunnel. For the regular traffic, they also have a set of rules to do that. That's something we cannot do.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-Link ER7206 VPN Bypass for Specific Ports or Destination IPs?-Solution
2024-06-12 03:11:05 - last edited 2024-06-12 03:13:40

Hi @PL459 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

First, any third-party VPN unless they are dedicated and optimized for gaming, or they will definitely get you bad connections in the game experience.

They don't optimize the lines from your end to the server. Usually, it will route to unnecessary points and making it have more points and getting more possibility to lag or lose packets.

We don't have any guarantee for this kind of setup. And no routers can guarantee this and it is mainly about the service you purchased/used.

For the third-party VPN, we don't have any recommendations or compatibility guarantees. Our router is more likely to be a device to provide you with VPN service while you are not at home or on a trip.

We currently don't support Wireguard/OVPN policy routing. For the connection, you are limited to all or certain subsets. Cannot define the ports.

VPN apps may heist your CA cert to get traffic filtered or routed. The CA cert hijack is common in the game VPN apps which is helping to route the gaming traffic over the tunnel. For the regular traffic, they also have a set of rules to do that. That's something we cannot do.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 258

Replies: 1

Tags

Related Articles