Reduce high quantity motion detection notifications

a week ago
Model: VIGI NVR1008H-8P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello

Is it possible to reduce quantity of overlapping notifications.

I have only 1x notification type enabled "motion"

Turned on "classification" - human & vehicle.

Prerecord 10seconds

Delay 2minutes

Because of the "classification"

I get 2x notification for a car & human motion in the same time period.

This create lot of disturbance to my phone.

See attach screenshot.

This is a software design issue. Is there any possible workaround? Or feedback to tplink team?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Reduce high quantity motion detection notifications
a week ago

Hello

Attached another screenshot. Same camera today. Multiple notifications within 1 minute from same camera. Can't find anyway to stop this.

Can tplink engineer advise?

Options
a week ago

Screenshot of settings

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hi @fatjoez 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TBH, I read your posts days ago but I don't think I can be of help here. I don't want to comment on this as well as it is not a proper request which is against the product design in my eye.

First, the detection is enabled by you and which means you are expecting to be notified. The goal was to receive a notification in time. But now you don't hope to receive the notifications when it properly detects an object/human. What do you expect it to be? Please give a full picture of your expected solution/results to address this matter. (We don't support detecting the objects/humans by some kind of AI to avoid duplicate notifications. That's barely impossible for such a product and would require a lot of TOPS. If this product line becomes AI-powered, it would also contain a proper GPU or CPU to support that calculation. And the price would not be like this as well.)

Second, will you show me video footage of your two continuous notifications where it shows both objects and humans? Like this one?

If the camera properly detects two different subjects, and it triggers and sends the notifications, I would say it is proper and expected to be like this.

What would be the software issue if it detects two subjects in a short time and sends you the expected notifications?

Your point is self-evidently wrong.

You should lower the sensitivity which inevitably may cause you to miss some notifications. Lowering the notification numbers would also cause a problem in which you miss important notifications if there is any. The camera or the app would be blamed in this situation as well. You should rewind the recordings later if there is a miss.

BTW, it has nothing to do with the recordings. So, leave it alone. It's about the triggering and notifications.

It's a dilemma here and I wonder what would be the best and feasible way in your opinion to fix this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Friday

@Clive_A thanks for reply

I understand what you're saying but let me clarify as you picked the wrong example to discuss.

see lower in the screenshot:

activation/notification in:

19:45 x2 (vehicle/human)

19:44 x2 (vehicle/human)

19:43 x2 (vehicle/human)

my problem / reason why I don't agree

-> I set the "record time" for an event as 2minutes.

so my expectation is 1x notification (or 1x car, 1x someone) during that 2 minutes period.

after 19:43 notification the camera setting is set to record 2 minutes so I expect during that 2 minutes no more notifications.

after 2 minutes (19:45) it is normal to receive notifications after because the camera has stopped recording the "event".

Tell me what you think?

Otherwise to be honest with you if the camera is going to trigger once at 19:43, 19:44, 19:45 then I think this is behaviour of an alarm system more than a camera.

if so what is the threshold.

there is movement during the 19:44-19:45 period multiple times.

so if there is justification for the camera to ignore the 19:43 event which is already recording & trigger a notification at 19:44,
why not just trigger an event notification every second from 19:43 to 19:44, to 19:45 since there was multiple movements in that period.

So what Im saying in summary is that the camera is having some code logic to separate the "events" and i think it should be revised to consider above & not flood notificatinos if there is already an active event being recorded.

does this make more sense?

Options
Yesterday - last edited Yesterday

Hi @fatjoez 

fatjoez wrote

@Clive_A thanks for reply

I understand what you're saying but let me clarify as you picked the wrong example to discuss.

see lower in the screenshot:

activation/notification in:

19:45 x2 (vehicle/human)

19:44 x2 (vehicle/human)

19:43 x2 (vehicle/human)

my problem / reason why I don't agree

-> I set the "record time" for an event as 2minutes.

so my expectation is 1x notification (or 1x car, 1x someone) during that 2 minutes period.

after 19:43 notification the camera setting is set to record 2 minutes so I expect during that 2 minutes no more notifications.

after 2 minutes (19:45) it is normal to receive notifications after because the camera has stopped recording the "event".

Tell me what you think?

Otherwise to be honest with you if the camera is going to trigger once at 19:43, 19:44, 19:45 then I think this is behaviour of an alarm system more than a camera.

if so what is the threshold.

there is movement during the 19:44-19:45 period multiple times.

so if there is justification for the camera to ignore the 19:43 event which is already recording & trigger a notification at 19:44,
why not just trigger an event notification every second from 19:43 to 19:44, to 19:45 since there was multiple movements in that period.

So what Im saying in summary is that the camera is having some code logic to separate the "events" and i think it should be revised to consider above & not flood notificatinos if there is already an active event being recorded.

does this make more sense?

So, previously, we were understanding this differently. It makes sense now. But here's the thing about the record time. When there are two different objects are detected, it is not clustered as a single event. In the system, it takes two events, one car, and one human. Two recordings should be generated for 2-minute long.

Let me ask this, and I also need to know what others think about this, you may start a new thread on the Request page.

Question: If you have a 2-minute recording but are not identified by the object human/car when one of them is triggered, will you be okay that you miss one video listed?

Which means you may lose the notification telling you that there are cars/human. It is definitely a foreseeable problem when it is implemented. I bet this will become a problem to most other users.

And, you can stop recognizing the human if you need to recognize the car. Or vice versa based on the most common scene in your case. Usually, it is human + car so you can consider deselecting one of them.

And another reason why it occurs multiple times instead of, this does not have the ability to recognize the human face or the car type. It could be the duplicate events.

And another question about your tolerance to this implementation:

Would that be okay for you to only get 1 notification for a 2-minute clip and another one after 2 minutes? Which means you are not re-notified in 2 minutes and your clips are segregated by a 2-minute time stamp. It basically becomes a continuous recording with clips.

When you watch it, regardless of the type of detection,

e.g. event 1, 10:10. Event 2, 10:12. Event 3, 10:14.

If someone steps out of the car at 10:11, you can only jump to that time as this is what you asked for as a feature.

VIGI is supposed to be a surveillance system, it does not overreact if you say it is an alarm system.

As for now, what's the best for you is to bring this up as a request and I also need to know how others think about this. Not just suit your needs.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
20 hours ago

@Clive_A 

thanks for reviewing & good we now understand each other.

FYI:

Current Hardware Version VIGI NVR1008H-8P(UN) 1.0

Current Firmware Version 1.1.0 Build 240507 Rel.78410n

1. I already tested to disable classification Human & Car also but didn't see a different result in reduction of quantity of notifications so I reactivated it.

I disable it again now so I will report tomorrow what happens if that reduce the notification overlaps.

2. Attach another screenshot of today.

as you can see,19:00:14  event someone, 19:01:15 someone.

In this situation my argument is more stronger. The VIGI detected a person & again another person, but we already have a notification event started recording for 2 minutes and since 19:00:14 and we don't need a 2nd notification at 19:01:15 because we already recording.

To answer your question I believe is simple and won't upset anyone really.

Each user can decide to record an event up to 3 minutes.

The system should consider an activation/event as 1 time within that 3 minutes period & send 1 notification.

Or if the recording period is 2 minutes, then the timeout should be 2 minutes.

I should also remind you that in terms of the motion recording the camera systems normally from all brands like Dahua/Hikvision actually already behave in this way.

1 motion event = 1 motion recording for the duration as per the settings.

In my example its 2 minutes "event record" time

The dahua & Hikvision system will activate the recording after detect motion event & save 1x clip for 2 minutes.

In TP Link NVR, I set the recording time as 30seconds pre-record, 2 minutes delay time (after event).

So i expect 1x recording event video file for 2 minute period.

Today example look photo below. 3x events. 2 events are 1 second apart!! 

18:58:13 (someone - correct detection)

18:58:14 (car -only 1 second after the previous recording! - correct detection but the car is not moving no motion. only stationary object car but there was human motion)

18:59:14 (someone - actually I played the video and there is nobody in the video. false detection)

I won't discuss the motion detectino false positive here, just focus on the time & recordings.

According to my NVR setting above

Delay time is 2 minutes.

Means the event should have only 1x recording.

So I am saying only that if the NVR detect and existing event recording from that channel, don't start a new recording parallel to that one.

OR at least give a user the option in the settings to choose!

"Enable/Disable: Parallel recording for different object detections"

OR

Give user option to disable object detections & stop the parallel recording!

There should be some way for the user to escape this logic because it doesn't match the logic of any other NVR brand provider I know about like dahua/hikvision & it causes a flood of notifications which make it more disrupting the user to monitor the property.

For me the problem is more serious because we want to use the VIGI product as a business for many customers. So we will also monitor 10-20 different property location.

If we can't resolve this then every time 1x event = 3x notification

x10 property = 20x extra notifications & recording per day.

We can't operate like this.

To be honest Clive I don't think this is a feature request.

I wish to ask this can be reviewed as a software bug & escalate to the technical support team.

I believe it's clear what I am saying above that I have made a setting in the NVR to record an event for 2 minutes and the system is not working.

It's more clear because look below my screenshot.

the playback of event recording is 18:58:23 - 18:58:40

= 17 seconds.

Who decided 17 seconds? the NVR not me.

I made the settings 2 minutes & 30 seconds prerecord.

The clip should be 2:30 not 17 seconds.

So for me this is a bug.

Could you please kindly escalate a support ticket & link it to this thread for investigation?

I'm happy to provide more information privately in a support ticket & also a link to our NVR for the technician to remotely access it and check if they need to.

Options
5 hours ago - last edited 3 hours ago

Hi  @fatjoez 

fatjoez wrote

@Clive_A 

thanks for reviewing & good we now understand each other.

FYI:

Current Hardware Version VIGI NVR1008H-8P(UN) 1.0

Current Firmware Version 1.1.0 Build 240507 Rel.78410n

1. I already tested to disable classification Human & Car also but didn't see a different result in reduction of quantity of notifications so I reactivated it.

I disable it again now so I will report tomorrow what happens if that reduce the notification overlaps.

2. Attach another screenshot of today.

as you can see,19:00:14  event someone, 19:01:15 someone.

In this situation my argument is more stronger. The VIGI detected a person & again another person, but we already have a notification event started recording for 2 minutes and since 19:00:14 and we don't need a 2nd notification at 19:01:15 because we already recording.

To answer your question I believe is simple and won't upset anyone really.

Each user can decide to record an event up to 3 minutes.

The system should consider an activation/event as 1 time within that 3 minutes period & send 1 notification.

Or if the recording period is 2 minutes, then the timeout should be 2 minutes.

I should also remind you that in terms of the motion recording the camera systems normally from all brands like Dahua/Hikvision actually already behave in this way.

1 motion event = 1 motion recording for the duration as per the settings.

In my example its 2 minutes "event record" time

The dahua & Hikvision system will activate the recording after detect motion event & save 1x clip for 2 minutes.

In TP Link NVR, I set the recording time as 30seconds pre-record, 2 minutes delay time (after event).

So i expect 1x recording event video file for 2 minute period.

Today example look photo below. 3x events. 2 events are 1 second apart!! 

18:58:13 (someone - correct detection)

18:58:14 (car -only 1 second after the previous recording! - correct detection but the car is not moving no motion. only stationary object car but there was human motion)

18:59:14 (someone - actually I played the video and there is nobody in the video. false detection)

I won't discuss the motion detectino false positive here, just focus on the time & recordings.

According to my NVR setting above

Delay time is 2 minutes.

Means the event should have only 1x recording.

So I am saying only that if the NVR detect and existing event recording from that channel, don't start a new recording parallel to that one.

OR at least give a user the option in the settings to choose!

"Enable/Disable: Parallel recording for different object detections"

OR

Give user option to disable object detections & stop the parallel recording!

There should be some way for the user to escape this logic because it doesn't match the logic of any other NVR brand provider I know about like dahua/hikvision & it causes a flood of notifications which make it more disrupting the user to monitor the property.

For me the problem is more serious because we want to use the VIGI product as a business for many customers. So we will also monitor 10-20 different property location.

If we can't resolve this then every time 1x event = 3x notification

x10 property = 20x extra notifications & recording per day.

We can't operate like this.

To be honest Clive I don't think this is a feature request.

I wish to ask this can be reviewed as a software bug & escalate to the technical support team.

I believe it's clear what I am saying above that I have made a setting in the NVR to record an event for 2 minutes and the system is not working.

It's more clear because look below my screenshot.

the playback of event recording is 18:58:23 - 18:58:40

= 17 seconds.

Who decided 17 seconds? the NVR not me.

I made the settings 2 minutes & 30 seconds prerecord.

The clip should be 2:30 not 17 seconds.

So for me this is a bug.

Could you please kindly escalate a support ticket & link it to this thread for investigation?

I'm happy to provide more information privately in a support ticket & also a link to our NVR for the technician to remotely access it and check if they need to.

I will forward what you described and asked for to the senior engineer and dev. Let's see how they respond to this request.

I will let you know the result and their evaluation and reason if necessary.

Update:

Since you have mentioned that Dahua/Hikvision and their logic would be better, can you share some information about how they implement this and their notification mechanism?

In an internal discussion, the senior engineer holds the same opinion with me on this matter. Before we bring this up to the dev, we would like to learn about how other vendors do.

As for an alternative way to this, you might enable the continuous alert. With it, you will have one notification and constantly be updated in that notification instead of multiple notifications. Will that be okay for you?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 84

Replies: 5

Related Articles