EAP225-Outdoor overheating in sun and dropping connections

2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.1.1

A few months ago I installed an EAP225-Outdoor on a PVC pipe about 4 feet above my mobile home roof. This access point is situated in the center of a rectangular 5 acre property and works great to provide connection to 8 IP cameras. However in the last month I've noticed when the outdoor temperatures exceed 100°F this access point refuses connections and eventually drops existing connections. During this condition the local device webpage takes minutes to load, or just doesn't load at all. Memory/CPU are at normal low levels.

My guess is the chipset is overheating and throttling down or reducing power to prevent further heat.

I tried to find a way to read chipset temps over SSH but can't find the utilities to do so.

I'm not really having an alternate location that is not in the direct sunlight to mount this access point. Mounting lower so that it's behind the building compromises the signal for the IP cameras on the other side of the property.

I'm wondering about a small shade like a reflective plastic sheet or box??? This is where I need your ideas. A project box with metallic tape or mirrors might work or might mess up the signal because of metallic elements. Anyone have any experience with this? Or is this router not suitable for sunlight?

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP225-Outdoor overheating in sun and dropping connections-Solution
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Vince_K 

You have a couple of options here.

Sun Shade.  Some 4" white PVC pipe extending 4-6" above the body of the EAP225 and an inch or so below.  Cut slots on either side to allow the antennae to maintain their +/- 45' orientation.  This will prevent direct solar loading, and will create a bit of a 'flue' effect circulating air about the AP as well.  If you can only get black ABS pipe, paint it white or light grey.

Remote the antennae.  Keep the AP unit inside the (presumably AC'd) RV, and extend the antenna ports using off the shelf gear outside the RV.  Something like this should do you nicely...I believe the 225-outdoor uses RP-SMA ports for it's antennae. 

https://www.amazon.com/Proxicast-Indoor-Outdoor-Omnidirectional-Antenna/dp/B0CR1ZM49R

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP225-Outdoor overheating in sun and dropping connections-Solution

@Vince_K 

You have a couple of options here.

Sun Shade.  Some 4" white PVC pipe extending 4-6" above the body of the EAP225 and an inch or so below.  Cut slots on either side to allow the antennae to maintain their +/- 45' orientation.  This will prevent direct solar loading, and will create a bit of a 'flue' effect circulating air about the AP as well.  If you can only get black ABS pipe, paint it white or light grey.

Remote the antennae.  Keep the AP unit inside the (presumably AC'd) RV, and extend the antenna ports using off the shelf gear outside the RV.  Something like this should do you nicely...I believe the 225-outdoor uses RP-SMA ports for it's antennae. 

https://www.amazon.com/Proxicast-Indoor-Outdoor-Omnidirectional-Antenna/dp/B0CR1ZM49R

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:EAP225-Outdoor overheating in sun and dropping connections

@d0ugmac1 

The flue effect of a surrounding pipe with antenna slots is quite genius.

Moving the AP indoors and extending just the antennas to the sweet spot I found is the winning idea here. Why didn't I think of that. Thank you and thanks for the link!

Options
Wednesday - last edited Wednesday

Update:

I had taken the idea of extending the antennas onto the top of the pole, and leaving the AP indoors. It's been 2 days and it's working great. I ordered a 10-foot set of no-name extension cables, and while the signal level dropped a bit there was no connection problems. During the 101 degree heat today there were zero connection drops and no other detectable problems.

Options
Wednesday

@Vince_K 

Thanks for the update, I'm glad you were able to get your site working!  Time to pat yourself on the back and have a frosty one :)

PS don't worry about the few dBm you would lose from the extra 10' of cable to raise the antenna.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 112

Replies: 4

Related Articles