ER7206 VPN speed capped at 100Mbps

2 weeks ago - last edited Tuesday
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20221104 Rel.41500

Both on the router's site and on the client's site there is a 900Mbps fiber internet connexion. The VPN (L2TP over IPSEC) however never goes faster than 110Mbps. I have been working on that for days now and can't find a reason for it. 

The specs sheet for the ER7206 states that encrypted L2TP can transfer up to 334.6 Mbps (https://www.tp-link.com/fr/business-networking/omada-router-wired-router/er7206/#specifications).

I know I'm not running the latest firmware but the release notes of the latest releases do not mention VPN.

I do not have any bandwitdth control that I know of activated. 

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be really grateful.

Thanks for your time guys.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER7206 VPN speed capped at 100Mbps-Solution

Hi @TheoZeFrench 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

What's the upload and download speed for both server and client?

You should consider if it is a speed throttle of the upload of one side. Download speed does not matter but the upload is crucial for a server.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:ER7206 VPN speed capped at 100Mbps
2 weeks ago

@TheoZeFrench 

The answer is simple, you don't get more on the ER7206v1, the router doesn't have Hardware Offload, I had some ER7206v1 for 2-3 years ago but replaced them with the ER605V2 which had a much faster IPsec VPN, the ER7206v2 would probably have been a better router if you want have high VPN speed.

you have looked at the specs of v2 and they are much faster than v1

Options
2 weeks ago

@MR.S thanks for your reply. You were right, I was looking at the V2 datasheet, my bad.

Yet, when looking at the V1 datasheet here : https://www.tp-link.com/fr/support/download/tl-er7206/v1/ is says 202.3 Mbps for encrypted L2TP VPN. Any idea why I can hardly reach half of that ?

Thanks for your help.

Options
2 weeks ago

@TheoZeFrench 

when I had that router I tried everything possible, getting it over 100Mbps turned out to be difficult. not only was it slow but the speed also went up and down up and down.when copuing file, i mostly used Site to site ipsec and file copying through vpn didn't go so well, i switched to ER605v2 and the speed went up to 250 + - Mbps. I don't know how it worked with L2TP because I didn't use it.

so the ipsec specs on the ER7206v1 are wrong.

Options
2 weeks ago

@MR.S well, thanks for your help. I'll look into the V2 version then.

Options
2 weeks ago

@TheoZeFrench 

you should consider the ER707-M2 which is a better choice in my opinion. here is comparison.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/compare/?type=smb&typeId=5802&productIds=67022%2C79606

Options
2 weeks ago

@MR.S will look into that, thank you !

Options
Re:ER7206 VPN speed capped at 100Mbps-Solution

Hi @TheoZeFrench 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

What's the upload and download speed for both server and client?

You should consider if it is a speed throttle of the upload of one side. Download speed does not matter but the upload is crucial for a server.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Tuesday

I have er7206 v1 also interested.

What is best performance vpn router then?

Is it er7206 v2? Or er707m2?

Any other alternatives in similar price range newer than this?

I read lots of reviews which complain overall support and reliability of er707m2 is worse than er7206.

Options
Wednesday

@fatjoez 

I haven't tested the ER7206v2 but I had an ER7206v1 and it was tragically slow, the ER707-m2 would have been my preferred choice if I were you. if you compare the specs, the ER707-M2 is faster and has more RAM.

I have two ER707-M2 and they have worked well except for a bad firmware from TP-Link which brought down the network on both routers. I have not tested with L2TP, but if you look in the comparison, you will see that the ER707-M2 is much faster.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/compare/?type=smb&typeId=5802&productIds=79606%2C67022

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 194

Replies: 9

Tags

Related Articles