Votes

IP routing (static and dynamic routing) support for wireguard VPN

Votes

2024-06-22 09:05:50 - last edited 2024-06-25 05:57:44

Recently, I configured a VPN tunnel between my office headquarters and eight

office branches. I'm using WireGuard, but I found out it does not support IP routing and dynamic routing (OSPF/RIP) within the tunnel. I have experience with WireGuard VPN on other routing solutions, such as Mikrotik, and I expect this TP-Link router to support routing over WireGuard as well. If it does support IP routing (at least static route), how do we go about it?

Thanks

Alex

Alex Kota Kinabalu, Sabah Malaysia
Options
2 Reply
Re:IP routing (static and dynamic routing) support for wireguard VPN
2024-06-24 02:41:00 - last edited 2024-06-24 05:51:46

Hi @bambinotenchie 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Does Mikrotik support Wireguard/OVPN OSPF/RIP? Does it support Static Routing for Wireguard or OVPN?

If possible, please share some links about their configuration on this. Would like to write a request for you.

For the routings now, they don't apply to the VPN tunnels. About the OSPF, you may use GRE VPN which supports the OSPF.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:IP routing (static and dynamic routing) support for wireguard VPN
2024-06-24 04:16:44 - last edited 2024-06-24 05:51:46

@Clive_A 

Hello Clive,

Here is the link that uses BGP with Wireguard VPN. It demonstrates how to configure dynamic routing with Wireguard VPN. It is applicable for RIP, OSPF and static routing as well. 

Dynamic Routing with Wireguard, Optimize your MikroTik network!

There's plenty of information on OSPF/RIP with wireguard VPN from Mikrotik on the net. I'm looking forward to ip routing support in Wireguard VPN in the future firmware updates.

Thanks.

Alex

Alex Kota Kinabalu, Sabah Malaysia
Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 259

Replies: 2

Voters 4