Router with Network Segmentation

2024-06-23 16:14:41 - last edited 2024-06-24 02:54:26

I am looking for a router that can do network segmentation "out of the box" without the need for any external devices.  The reason behind this is to fully isolate two home networks while only using a single public IP address and, at the same time, eliminate double NAT.

The setup I am testing now uses the ISP router (with a built-in ONT) for the main router.  I have two additional AX55 routers connected to two LAN ports of the ISP router.  One router is for my private network and the other router is for IoT devices, FireTV devices, and an IPTV decoder.  This, of course, means double NAT.  Everything works OK with the only problem being with the ISP's IPTV decoder and that problem was solved by placing the decoder in the DMZ of the second AX55.

I have the capability to place the ISP's router in bridge mode and use a PPoE connection for internet.  What I would like to do is use a router that can establish the PPoE connection and use different subnets on two of its LAN ports.  My AX55s could then be configured in AP mode.  The only routers I have found this far are made by Synology (the WRX560 and RT6600AX) but I would like to stay with Tp-Link.  After reviewing the different Omada models, I'm not sure they can do what I need.  Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Router with Network Segmentation
2024-06-24 01:03:54

Hi @jra11500 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Double-NAT is not a problem if you can set the modem into bridge mode. Regardless of what kind of routers you have, as long as your modem is in bridge mode, and you use a single router, you are not double-NATted.

About the DMZ and port forwarding, yep, all Omada routers support it. PPPoE, a basic method to connect to the Internet.

VLAN interface is what you are looking for. How to Set Up VLAN Interface on the Omada Router

But not sure if your Archer can use SSID VLAN. If they don't, you might have trouble with the tagged VLAN.

And Omada is not using the same app as Archer. Omada is a different product line.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:Router with Network Segmentation
2024-06-25 18:51:31

@Clive_A 

Thanks for responding.  Unfortunately the Archer products do not support native VLANs and I would have to add switches to create VLANs for the wired connections.  The wireless networks do not have a solution.  I will look deeper into the Omada configuration documentation before making a final decision on a main router replacement.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 280

Replies: 2

Related Articles