6 x Omada EAP110-Outdoor HWv3.0 (EU), only 5 will work in repeated network

Wednesday - last edited Thursday
Tags: #Installation #EAP110-Outdoor
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: EAP110-OUTDOORv3_5.0.3 EU

We set up 5 EAP110-Outdoor HWv3 easily and quickly and placed all the units into the roof cavities of each of the chalets and base primary residence and everything works.

We thought we'd get decent internet from the main antenna in the primary residence in Chalet #5 because it's so close to the primary residence but it doesn't.

We bought a 6th EAP110-Outdoor HWv3 and cannot get it to work at all or join the Standalone Network set up in the Omada App on iPhone.

We've tried firmware 5.0.3 and 5.0.4. There isn't even a place in the web interface for the 6th EAP110-Outdoor HWv3 to select a wifi network to repeat. All the other 5 did the setup without incidence. What am I doing wrong? Is there a limit to the number of stand-alone Omada EAP110 devices that can be on a repeated network?

Attaching a diagram of the network setup. 

Would I be able to get another TP-Link type adapter in the RE series to connect to the network provided by the Omada adapters just for Chalet #5?

Link to diagram

File:
Support Diagramme Sheoak Chalets.jpgDownload
Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:6 x Omada EAP110-Outdoor HWv3.0 (EU), only 5 will work in repeated network-Solution

@Xentaur 

Sounds like AP6 is functional (ie you can flash firmware and see at least some settings).  My thinking is that you have a radio problem, which can be caused by:

1. your directional narrow beam parabolic antenna

2. defective radio module inside AP6

To determine if the AP is ok, factory default it, and take it to one of the locations where another AP is currently working.  Swap AP6 in and power down the existing AP.  Are you able to get signal and configure?

If the AP works at another location, then you have base station antenna radiation issue.  If the AP does not work anywhere else, then it is defective.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:6 x Omada EAP110-Outdoor HWv3.0 (EU), only 5 will work in repeated network-Solution
Friday - last edited Friday

@Xentaur It is sorted.

The problem was that the 6th unit, which was ordered separately from the other 5 units, came flashed with the US firmware (it's labeled an EU unit). I re-flashed the unit with the EU firmware and everything just worked. I had to trick it as well, I backwards flashed it with previous EU firmware first as it wouldn't accept the change from US to EU firmware as they have the same version number. 

Working from the Australian website, the TP-Link "swich to the version of the site for your country" wasn't sending me to the correct place. I had to ignore that message by closing the box without pressing any of the buttons to get to the 5.0.7 EU firmware.

It was a really weird and difficult to diagnose problem.

Thanks everyone for the tips, going over all those things brought me back to scrutinising the firmware versions from the browser connection to all the devices. The Omada App versions don't give enough information to determine if the firmware is from the wrong source.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply

@Xentaur 

Sounds like AP6 is functional (ie you can flash firmware and see at least some settings).  My thinking is that you have a radio problem, which can be caused by:

1. your directional narrow beam parabolic antenna

2. defective radio module inside AP6

To determine if the AP is ok, factory default it, and take it to one of the locations where another AP is currently working.  Swap AP6 in and power down the existing AP.  Are you able to get signal and configure?

If the AP works at another location, then you have base station antenna radiation issue.  If the AP does not work anywhere else, then it is defective.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
Friday - last edited Friday

@Xentaur It is sorted.

The problem was that the 6th unit, which was ordered separately from the other 5 units, came flashed with the US firmware (it's labeled an EU unit). I re-flashed the unit with the EU firmware and everything just worked. I had to trick it as well, I backwards flashed it with previous EU firmware first as it wouldn't accept the change from US to EU firmware as they have the same version number. 

Working from the Australian website, the TP-Link "swich to the version of the site for your country" wasn't sending me to the correct place. I had to ignore that message by closing the box without pressing any of the buttons to get to the 5.0.7 EU firmware.

It was a really weird and difficult to diagnose problem.

Thanks everyone for the tips, going over all those things brought me back to scrutinising the firmware versions from the browser connection to all the devices. The Omada App versions don't give enough information to determine if the firmware is from the wrong source.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 33

Replies: 2

Tags

Installation
EAP110-Outdoor
Related Articles