EAP245 V3 Firmware Update

2024-07-09 20:07:13 - last edited 2024-07-09 20:52:11
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.1.0

There have been a number of questions raised regarding an overdue firmware update for the EAP245 V3. The latest of these questions can be seen on page 4 of this thread EAP245 V4_1.3.0_Build 20240126 Pre-release (Released on Feb 5th, 2024) - Business Community (tp-link.com)EAP245 V4_1.3.0_Build 20240126 Pre-release (Released on Feb 5th, 2024) - Business Community (tp-link.com). Since that thread has now been closed subsequent to the final release of the latest firmware for the EAP245 V4 I have started this new thread.

@Fae and @Hank21 thank you for your replies to our questions. I know that you are trying to get some meaningful answers for us but this has just been taking far too long.

I'm pretty sure that others here, like me, are becoming very frustrated at the apparent lack of progress on any new firmware updates for the EAP245 V3. It's just been too long now. It took 5 months for TP-Link to get the V4 firmware from pre-release to full release. We don't even have a pre-release version for the V3 EAP245 yet. Based on this it seems unlikely that we will see a full release for V3 until early 2025 at best.

Can you understand our frustration? I know that for me this shakes my confidence in TP-Link as a suitable vendor for business solutions and while I may have to pay more for some of the alternatives that are available I must now actively consider those rather than waiting around for firmware that may or may not ever be delivered. Delays in capabilities cost me money too.

Please do something to reassure us that our decision to adopt TP-Link was not a bad one. We really need your help here. We need something definitive in terms of timing, not just promises that the firmware is being worked on by someone somewhere. We have to provide answers and make commitments to our businesses and TP-Link are our partners in this.

And, if the answer is that there will be no firmware update for the EAP V3 then please tell us that too. It won't be the answer that we prefer but it will allow us to move forward with our planning.

Thank you so much.

Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP245 V3 Firmware Update
2024-07-10 05:51:18

@KarlTheViking 

I share your frustration, I myself have two EAP620v1 that haven't had an update since 2021, it was out of date before I bought it. same thing with EAP245v1,EAP225v2

because of that I actually considered switching everything over to unifi but it's a big cost so I've rather replaced what is now out of date.

but there is a limit to how many times I replace perfectly good devices due to poor software support, the future will show where the limit is :-)

Options
2024-07-10 07:01:04

Hi  @KarlTheViking 

Unfortunately, the new version of EAP245 V3 has a very complex problem that we need time to solve. It's hard for us to provide an ETA for now. But the sure thing is our engineers are trying their best to fix it. We appreciate your understanding.

Options
2024-07-25 23:57:34
Why not release a firmware, that fixes bugs or adds the new features promised. What is this complex issue that taking so long? I've been waiting for the AP device lock feature since it was added to the EAP Controller. It looks like TPLINK is doing the same thing they always do, release new hardware revisions and abandon the old revisions. The fact there is an EAP245 V4 means its unlikely we'll see further support for V3.
Options
a week ago

@Vincent-TP It has now been close to 3 months since my 1st request reagarding the status of a EAP245 v3 firmware update and close to 18 months since the last EAP 245 v3 firmware update! You advised us that engineers are working on an v3 firmware update. While I appreciate that feedback, and trust the sincerity with which it was given, I am now sincerely doubting that we will ever see any further updates for this product.

While I understand that there may be bugs that need to be resolved I also know from personal experience, gained from very many years in software development that it simply cannot take this long to fix bugs if the work has been given any kind of priority at all. I must therefore conclude that the bugs are either unfixable or that no such priority is being given to fix the bugs and that engineering time is more focussed on products released after the EAP 245.

For me at least, this means that I have to now look elsewhere for a solution that better fits my needs. This is a real disappointment for me. I had high hopes for TP-Link as a provider of enterprise solutions at a more economical price point. However product support is an important element of the economic equation and I feel let down by TP-Link in this regard. I expect enterprise proucts I install to be supported for more than a couple years after I install them. To have to tear them out and reinstall something new within 2 years of first installing them is an expense that most eneterprises will not tolerate. But it seems that this is where we are. 

I really liked what I saw TP-Link doing with their Omada strategy. It was a compelling story. It's still a good strategy and the thought and design that went into the harware and the management sofware was good. But those of us who have installed EAP 245 v3 Access Points over the last couple of years already feel abandoned. I cannot imagine that this is what TP-Link want.

What can you do to assure us that we have not been abandoned?

A further promise that the problem is being worked on will not assure us.

We are at a point where we need something much more definitive than that. We need dates. We need to know what we can expect in the firmware release that you have told us you are working on. We need to know that our faith in the TP-Link Omada System was not misplaced. And, we need to know now, because right now you have thrown open the door to your competitors and only your answers can slam that door shut.

Sincerely

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 277

Replies: 4

Related Articles