ER7212PC built-in Controller issues: Memory usage reporting

2024-07-10 23:39:44 - last edited 2024-07-12 01:21:24
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20240517 Rel.10671

Issues: 

1. Memory usage not reported everywhere expected. 

2. Is Excessive Memory usage with no adopted devices correct?

Regarding 1:
the following do _NOT_ Show Memory usage as expected:
device list page > Memory usage column
statistics page > Usage(%) graph

(side note: cpu statistics are displayed)

could the memory display be added in the next firmware update?

Regarding 2:
The following does Show Memory usage: Dashboard > hover mouse over Gateway 

However: it shows a worrying 86% Memory usage with no devices adopted yet and 89% with 3 EAPS adopted.

Can this be correct?

EDIT: I just noticed that two days ago, a new beta firmware was released for the ER7212PC. I will upgrade the firmware ASAP, retest and update this post.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER7212PC built-in Controller issues: Memory usage reporting-Solution
2024-07-11 02:19:38 - last edited 2024-07-12 01:22:01

Hi @AliReza_A 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Regarding the first one, I require some screenshots.

Second, memory usage is close to the limit but it does not mean it is a problem. It is purely hardware information. The memory is mainly for the up-and-running services. It has something to do with the adoption but not too much. It is still under the expectation of the hardware specs.

If you have used some open source software for routers or any kind, they take up half of the memory or more after their rebooting stabilizes. As time goes on, the more startup services you add to the system, the plugins, the more memory usage it uses after the rebooting. Normal.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-12 01:13:48 - last edited 2024-07-12 01:21:24

Hi @AliReza_A 

AliReza_A wrote

@Clive_A 

device list page > Memory usage column: I would expect the memory usage for the ER7212PC to be populated as with other devices.

Regarding this, just learned this from the dev, and this is expected. Currently, it is not available on this page. Not aware of any timeline for this and when this will be available for the ER7212PC.

This might be improved in future hardware revisions.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
2024-07-11 02:19:38 - last edited 2024-07-12 01:22:01

Hi @AliReza_A 

Regarding the first one, I require some screenshots.

Second, memory usage is close to the limit but it does not mean it is a problem. It is purely hardware information. The memory is mainly for the up-and-running services. It has something to do with the adoption but not too much. It is still under the expectation of the hardware specs.

If you have used some open source software for routers or any kind, they take up half of the memory or more after their rebooting stabilizes. As time goes on, the more startup services you add to the system, the plugins, the more memory usage it uses after the rebooting. Normal.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER7212PC built-in Controller issues: Memory usage reporting
2024-07-11 14:41:04

@Clive_A 

Usage (%) graph: I would expect a yellow curve for the memory usage

Options
2024-07-11 14:47:38

@Clive_A 

device list page > Memory usage column: I would expect the memory usage for the ER7212PC to be populated as with other devices.

Options
2024-07-11 14:50:16

@Clive_A 

Thanks for putting me at ease regarding the memory usage. I assume it appears so large because the controller of the 3 in 1 ER7212PC eats up a big part of the available RAM that it has to share with the router and switch functions and thus the percentage is so much larger compared to a standalone router?

Options
2024-07-11 15:09:15

@Clive_A 

The following does Show Memory usage: Dashboard > hover mouse over Gateway

This proves that the memory usage is indeed being tracked by the controller.

Options
2024-07-11 23:46:51

@AliReza_A 

Updated to the latest beta 1.2.0 Build 20240705 Rel.54437

The issue persists.

Options
2024-07-12 01:07:46

Hi @AliReza_A 

AliReza_A wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for putting me at ease regarding the memory usage. I assume it appears so large because the controller of the 3 in 1 ER7212PC eats up a big part of the available RAM that it has to share with the router and switch functions and thus the percentage is so much larger compared to a standalone router?

That's correct.

As for the device, it is not built-in with a super large RAM. That would increase the cost as well. We have to balance the cost and the sufficient RAM for the customers.

The price increases by 10%, which might have enormous negative effects on the sales number. So, this is a compromise between the price and the cost of the better hardware.

Thanks for your understanding.

Options
2024-07-12 01:13:48 - last edited 2024-07-12 01:21:24

Hi @AliReza_A 

AliReza_A wrote

@Clive_A 

Regarding this, just learned this from the dev, and this is expected. Currently, it is not available on this page. Not aware of any timeline for this and when this will be available for the ER7212PC.

This might be improved in future hardware revisions.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-12 01:15:23 - last edited 2024-07-12 01:22:59

Clive_A wrote

Hi @AliReza_A 

AliReza_A wrote

@Clive_A 

That's correct.

As for the device, it is not built-in with a super large RAM. That would increase the cost as well. We have to balance the cost and the sufficient RAM for the customers.

The price increases by 10%, which might have enormous negative effects on the sales number. So, this is a compromise between the price and the cost of the better hardware.

Hi  @Clive_A,

Absolutely. I understand. The ER7212PC is a very interesting product at its price point and I can see a bright future for it in the Omada ecosystem for smaller networks.

I am still in in the evaluation phase with it, to see if it can handle my fairly modest requirements, but may soon move over my main running system (ER7206 and software controller) to the ER7212PC.

Thanks!

Options
2024-07-12 01:21:02

Hi @AliReza_A 

AliReza_A wrote

Clive_A wrote

Hi @AliReza_A 

AliReza_A wrote

@Clive_A 

That's correct.

Hi  @Clive_A,

Absolutely. I understand. The ER7212PC is a very interesting product at its price point.

I am still in in the evaluation phase with it, to see if it can handle my fairly modest requirements, but may soon move over my main running system (ER7206 and software controller) to the ER7212PC.

Thanks!

Yep. This device is designed for small businesses. Originally targeting the convenience store or similar. Usually, this size of business does not grow exponentially and this device suffices.

So, IMO, it is limited and I would usually not recommend people who intend to grow their business or home network with this model. Because when you reach the limits, you are left with no choice but to upgrade to the router + OC.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 447

Replies: 10

Related Articles