Default route to external (or internet) not exist in OSPF routing
Default route to external (or internet) not exist in OSPF routing
2024-07-12 09:49:10
Tags: #ospf
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20240308 Rel.75819

Hello all,

In my lab test, I discovered that the default route to the external network (or, in my case, to the Internet) does not exist in OSPF routing in TP-Link ER8411. I'm configuring a Cisco router, a Mikrotik router, and a TP-Link ER8411 (as a main gateway router) using OSPF. Although TP-Link ER8411 has 'basic' OSPF routing, it works fine with other third-party routers except for the default route to the internet (or external network). The route appeared in the routing table of the TP-Link ER8411 but not in the OSPF routing table. The default route does not exist in Mikrotik and Cisco's OSPF routing tables, which (by right) it should have since all three routers shares similar routing entries via OSPF protocol.  There is no option to 'inject' the static default route into OSPF routing; I think it should have it. This route injection in a dynamic routing protocol such as OSPF is known as 'redistribute routing information'. This means that any external routing (static or dynamic) is 'injected' into the dynamic routing protocol (OSPF), making the external routes available to the rest of the routers. I think this feature should be available.

The only workaround for this is to set a default static route (0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gateway) from the adjacent router (in my lab test, Cisco and Mikrotik) to TP-Link ER8411 (the main gateway router).

Thanks.

Alex Kota Kinabalu, Sabah Malaysia
Options
5 Reply
Re:Default route to external (or internet) not exist in OSPF routing
2024-07-13 15:40:18
I suggest making the default static route (automatic or manual config) in the OSPF routing protocol. Or, let the user have an option of 'importing' static routes (default or selected routes) via 'redistribute static route' option in the OSPF config section.
Options
2024-07-15 01:24:59

Hi @bambinotenchie 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

We have a kept the tradition that different routes are displayed in different tabs. They don't mix together.

Default routings are under the routing table which static routing and auto-routing tables stay.

The main point I get from your description is about the display mechanism. If I am not correct, please explain with the pictures and diagram for illustration. With this so far, I can only give information above.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-07-18 10:22:54

Hello  @Clive_A 

Here is my network diagram based on my lab test on OSPF routing. It would be best if you zoomed in to see the details. As I mentioned earlier, OSPF works in this scenario, but the default route on the TP-Link ER8411 does not 'inject' or 'share' the default route into the OSPF routing domain, although the default route (in Routing Table) exists. The TP-Link MR200 has access to the Internet. The routing configuration on all devices is purely OSPF with no static routes. From the PC part, the traceroute is reachable till 192.168.168.1 (the MR200) but not beyond.

OSPF with TP-Link ER8411

Unless I declare a static route from Mikrotik and Cisco router towards TP-Link ER8411. It is unable to reach the internet space.

Kindly advise.

Thank you very much

Options
2024-07-22 03:22:39

Hi @bambinotenchie 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

bambinotenchie wrote

Hello  @Clive_A 

Here is my network diagram based on my lab test on OSPF routing. It would be best if you zoomed in to see the details. As I mentioned earlier, OSPF works in this scenario, but the default route on the TP-Link ER8411 does not 'inject' or 'share' the default route into the OSPF routing domain, although the default route (in Routing Table) exists. The TP-Link MR200 has access to the Internet. The routing configuration on all devices is purely OSPF with no static routes. From the PC part, the traceroute is reachable till 192.168.168.1 (the MR200) but not beyond.

Unless I declare a static route from Mikrotik and Cisco router towards TP-Link ER8411. It is unable to reach the internet space.

Kindly advise.

Thank you very much

This is something we don't have. I have reported this to the dev for review and evaluation. I hope there may be some changes to address this in the future.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-07-22 03:52:41
Thank you @Clive_A Hopefully it could be materialized in the near future.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 240

Replies: 5

Tags

ospf
Related Articles