Slow wifi speed on my ps5

2024-07-12 14:04:49

Have a Deco x55 setup, my main router is downstairs (fiber) and the main deco is placed next to it, the other two are placed in living room and gamingroom. The one in the gamingroom is connected with cable to my ps5. I can't seem to get any speed on my ps5, latest speedtest shows around 20 up and down, if i connect with my phone it varies from 50-300 (300 is what i pay for)

any suggestions how I can improve this?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Slow wifi speed on my ps5
2024-07-12 15:02:53 - last edited 2024-07-12 15:03:11

@Mariusss 

For gaming its always better to have a wired ethernet connection between the main Deco and satelite Deco. How far apart are the units and could you run an ethernet cable between them?

The other option would be to think about powerline adaptors if you don't want to run ethernet cables all over your house.

BT Full fibre 500, 2x M9 Plus V2 and 1x X60 V3.2 connected to BT Hub in AP mode.
Options
2024-07-12 21:03:19

@klipse 

unfortunately not able to wire it directly since mu router is downstairs.. the main deco is wired downstairs and the other two are placed upstairs in my living room and gamingroom. 
running speedtest on my phone it gives good results.

will a powerline adaptor be able to give good enough connection on my ps5?🤔

Options
2024-07-13 08:12:38

@Mariusss 

What is the internal wiring in your house like? IE:- is your house relatively modern or an old house?

Powerline adaptors are good except if your internal wiring is not of good enough quality then they won't perform like they should.

You could try purchasing a good pair of powerline adaptors from a retailer but make sure you can return them if they don't meet your expectations.

BT Full fibre 500, 2x M9 Plus V2 and 1x X60 V3.2 connected to BT Hub in AP mode.
Options
2024-07-13 12:36:10 - last edited 2024-07-13 12:36:28

@Mariusss 

Powerline adapters are an option, but you wouldn't know will they work or not for you until you try.

For what you have now, check the following two things:

1. Do you see PS5 connected to gamingroom Satellite Deco and is it on Ethernet connection? You should be able to see that in info page for gamingroom Satellite Deco. If not sure, make screenshot of that page and I'll confirm for you.

If you don't see PS5 connected by Ethernet to gamingroom Satellite Deco, that is the problem to deal with.

2. Does gamingroom Satellite Deco have good connection to Main Deco? Same gamingroom info page in Deco app, what does it say above Signal? Example:

In this example, Signal (which is quality of connection from Satellite Deco to Main Deco) is Fair.

Ideally, it should be Strong, but if it is Weak - Satellite is too far from Main Deco.

Options
2024-07-13 23:19:08

Deco signal  @Alexandre. 
thanks for the reply, yes it's connected as shown in the picture i attached, however I noticed earlier today that my main router is only 2,4GHz. Can that be the issue? I sent an email to my internet-provider asking if my router can run 5GHz or I should get a new one. My "kontor" deco has medium signal as shown 

Options
2024-07-13 23:23:04

@klipse it's from 2013 so I suppose it is relatively modern. Unfortunately i only have network contact (not sure what it's called) on the wall in my livingroom, so i won't be able to stretch a cable from that.

i guess buying some adaptors are worth a shot😅

Options
2024-07-13 23:35:41

Mariusss wrote

@Alexandre. 
thanks for the reply, yes it's connected as shown in the picture i attached, however I noticed earlier today that my main router is only 2,4GHz. Can that be the issue? I sent an email to my internet-provider asking if my router can run 5GHz or I should get a new one. My "kontor" deco has medium signal as shown 

@Mariusss 

Good catch! Yes, you should see both bands just like on my screenshot. What you have is either gamingroom Satellite Deco too far from Main Deco, or defective unit.

This is how to find what it is: bring gamingroom Satellite Deco to the same room where Main Deco is and place it about 1-2 meters from Main Deco. Power on Satellite Deco and see if it now connects on two bands. If it does not, either it or Main Deco (or both) have defective hardware.

How to test which one have defective hardware: check living room Satellite Deco info page. If it shows two bands in "Connected to:," that definitely means gamingroom Satellite Deco is defective.

If living room Satellite Deco shows one band, too - more investigation is required. Let me know if this is the case, and I'll give you next steps.

-------------------

Can you clarify: have you received Deco set from your internet provider? Because, it is Deco mesh hardware and not provider's fiber router that has an issue. 

Options
2024-07-14 15:51:24

@Alexandre. 
thanks for the help so far really appreciate it! Very busy packing today as im leaving tomorrow, i will test these tips out when im home, hope I can tag you when I get back home😅

I bought the deco's seperately, my internet provider only sold some monthly subscriptions for an other mesh brand. When i reached out to them they said my issue had to be the deco, everything was fine from their side they said.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 392

Replies: 8

Related Articles