EAP783 connectivity problems over time on 2.4 Ghz band

2024-07-25 11:24:32
Model: EAP783  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.10.0

It seems that as time passes by, something goes wrong with the EAP783 and devices on the 2.4 Ghz band start having problems connecting or maintaning a good wireless connection.

I have 3 separate ESSIDs, main, guests and Internet of Things (IoT). I run 2.4 Ghz exclusively on the IoT ESSID and both 5/6G bands run in the main and guest ESSIDs.

I have not yet determined the specific amount of time, but I think in my particular situation, it is about two weeks or more, when my devices start experiencing problems.

Two devices that I have noticed start disconnecting or can no longer reliably maintain a connection are:
Pool controller -> iAqualink 2.0 iq20 model

Blink Outdoor Floodlight camera -> Only this camera out of a total of 9 of them around the house presented the issue.

Last weekend I was trying to remotely manage my pool to turn the spa on and I just could not connect to the controller at all. I reset the controller multiple times, it would attempt to join the network, sometimes stay connected for a small amount of time and then just drop. I tried pinging it and it would just pretty much have lots of dropped pings. Regardless of anything I tried on the iAqualink device, it just did not work until I decided to reboot the EAP783. At this point, the AP had been up without a reboot for 28+ days.

About a week or so before I rebooted the AP, I had also been fighting with the Blink Floodlight Camera. That one is a bit easier to "power cycle" since I can use a switch to cut the power to it from the light switch which was initially set for just an outdoor floodlight. With the Blink camera, I would power cycle it, it would come back up, work for several hours, even a day and the camera would just go offline as well. Upon rebooting the EAP783, the camera has been connected 100% of the time. As of now, the AP has been up for 4 days 15 hours.

I found an article in the forums where someone with a collection of WiFi6 access points seems to be experiencing the exact same problems. His problem seemed worse as his devices would drop after a day.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Does TP-Link need to revise the firmware on the devices and implement a fix? I was a UniFi user for many years and never had this kind of problems. I would never have to reboot the access points to get them to work. The first things that support told me to do was to set a reboot of the AP. That is not the right solution. Networking equipment should never have to be rebooted on a recurring basis to operate correctly.

I will keep monitoring my recently rebooted device and will udpate this post when I notice wireless clients start to drop again from the WiFi.

Options
8 Reply
Re:EAP783 connectivity problems over time on 2.4 Ghz band
2024-07-26 09:47:23

@dijuremo 

May I have the exact firmware for it?Is it Version 1.0.10? Is this only an issue with those two devices? What is the distance between them and the AP? Do you do WLAN optimization? What WPA mode did you set up? It is recommended that you turn off the PMF. Are you turning it off?How to configure PMF on Omada Controller

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-07-27 00:09:23

@Hank21 

The firmware is inded 1.0.10 (original had a typo).

So far the issue was only seen on those two devices and power cycling them, forgetting the network and adding them back did not solve the problem. The problem was fully resolve by power cycling the EAP783 access point. As of now, the AP has been up for 6 days and 3 hours.

I ran the WLAN optimization but it said it failed. I am running it for a 3rd time now. From the image above, you can see I am using WPA2-PSK / AES and PMF is disabled (that was the default because I do not remember having to disable it).

This screen says it succeeded:

But if I look into the details it says it failed.

Let me know if you need more info.

Options
2024-07-27 03:56:09

@dijuremo 

i get failed when i run optimization as well. Not having the rest of the issues, though. 

Options
2024-07-29 06:24:16

@dijuremo 

What about relocating the two units closer to the EAP783? Still suspected a signal strength issue.
We are working on the fail-to-WLAN optimization issue and will notify you once I receive an update.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-07-29 10:51:32

@Hank21

The WiFi devices work perfectly fine for about two weeks then on week 3+ I start seeing the problems. At the moment, both the Camera and the iAqualink both work perfectly fine in their location, but we are on 8 day 14 hours uptime for the EAP 783. Within the next two weeks I expect to start seeing problems again. I will update the moment I first notice one of the devices starting to drop from the network.

I cannot relocate the devices permanently. One is a floodlight camera at the front of the house, the other is the pool WiFi controller which is hard wired to the main pool board outside the house. The floodlight camera does  show full WiFi signal strength on the blink app. The iAqualink shows 2 bars out of the max when I reset it and attach it to the wireless network.

I do not have an easy way to find the MAC address of the camera, so this is from the Blink app

This is the current signal strength as seen from the AP for the iAqualink device:

Options
2024-07-30 03:39:29

@dijuremo 

Please observe their performance. -68dBm is not a good signal.Alternatively, you can try to relocate the EAP783.2.4G is more inclined to be affected by the environment.Therefore, the wireless network may be unstable.

Regarding the fail to optimize issue, we conducted local tests and discovered that it is due to the absence of a 6G band in the environment, resulting in a failure to scan the 6G band.Then the error appears; we will correct it in the upcoming firmware by editing it as a warning rather than the current error.

Options
2024-07-30 10:37:53

@Hank21 

I understand the iAqualink does not have the best signal. Having said that, I never had a problem like this until I installed the EAP783. My previous UniFi UAP-AC-HD was installed in the exact same place as the EAP783 and it supposedly has less power and did not present this problem. Furthermore, as I meintoed, The EAP783 works fine for some time, then starts miss-behaving. I will keep an eye on things and will report back when I notice the clients starting to go offline. On the other hand, the Blink camera that also presented problems has full signal. I will try to figure out the MAC address (have to do it physically since the Blink app does not show it) so I can actually screenshot the signal level from the Omada software controller to have a proper reading.

I have ordered a new antenna for the iAqualink which gives a 10 dBi boost, so should be an improvement over the one it currently has.

Options
2024-07-31 02:02:48 - last edited 2024-07-31 02:08:46

@dijuremo 

Please monitor the network and tell me if there are any improvements.Maybe you could try switching the 2.4G transmission power from low to high.

Options