Does API v3 actually exist?
Does API v3 actually exist?
2024-08-04 13:28:41
Tags: #API
Model: General Product  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0

Hello -

Does API v3 exist?  When I request /api/info I get apiVer value of 3 but paths containing /v3/ don't work.

API docs for controller v5.9.9 is located here but it is missing a lot of key info.  For example, authentication info, API version differences.  The paths /switches doesn't even exist in that document but it is a valid API endpoint.  It only seems to cover things like access points

Are there any plans to produce a comprehensive API document collection that covers everything from authentication through to requesting info on ALL devices. not just APs?

@Fae 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Does API v3 actually exist?
2024-08-05 07:57:05

Hi  @user55515 

What's the firmware version of your controller?

You can get the latest API from the following page:

Options
2024-08-05 08:15:01 - last edited 2024-08-05 13:20:58

Thanks Vincent-TP.  I've seen that page.  My controller is SDN version 5.14.26.1.

However, that document lists all endpoints as v1 whereas a request to /api/info lists apiVer as 3.  My questions are:

- Why does that request show my controller's API version is v3 when the Platform Integration API version is v1?

- What is the difference between the Omada Web API and the Omada Open API?

- Which is newer, the Omada Web API or Omada Open API?

- What is API v2 when compared to v1?

- API v2 includes info like linkStatus per port.  I hope v1 has this info - it is critical.

- Why version should we use and why?  Why so many different versions with so many different responses?

Options
2024-08-07 13:00:25

@Vincent-TP Any comments on the above?

- Is the intention for users to use a mixture of v1 and v2 to get all info?

- Complete switch info is only available by using a combination of the two so what is your recommendation?

- What does v3 mean?  As asked above.

Please can you respond to these and previous questions.

Thank you.

@Fae 

Options
2024-08-08 01:52:50

Hi  @user55515 

It's not simple "new version" or "old version".

Some good guys share the experience here:

Omada OpenAPI Cookbook

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-08-08 12:01:01 - last edited 2024-08-08 12:04:17

@Fae Thanks but that cookbook doesn't explain anything that's not already obvious in the official documentation.

My questions aren't about "how" to use the APIs - I know how to use them.  They're about what the TP-Link intention is with regards to the different versions.

- Why does a request to /api/info show my controller's API version is v3?

- What is API v3?

- API v2 includes info like linkStatus per port.  I hope v1 has this info - it is critical.

- API v1 does have this info but it's not very well formatted.  v1 doesn't provide the same level of info per port without using the dashboard endpoint and then combining that with v2 requests.

- Why doesn't the documentation explain what the various values mean?  E.g. port speed of "5" is 10GbE but where is that documented?

- Which version should we use and why?

- Why so many different versions with so many different responses?

- Why do both Web API and Open API exist?
- Is the intention for users to use a mixture of v1 and v2 to get all info?

- Complete switch info is only available by using a combination of the two so what is your recommendation?

Also, v1 API responses don't make any sense per port.  ALL ports show PoE status is 1, even when PoE is disabled.  Etc.

Options
2024-08-08 20:42:42

@user55515 I haven't tried, but I suppose you are talking about the web API. It seems TP-LINk use web API for the Omada Controller web GUI, but they don't maintence the document for the web API. I think it's understandable, because the web API changes very frequently when the version iterates, that's why you can see many discussion about Omada API v1, v2, or even now v3 on the Internet. 

before they have OpenAPI, TP-LINK provides some document for web API on forum unofficially. After the OpenAPI is avialable, they promote the OpenAPI instead. There is a very good document for Omada OpenAPI. But it seem not so many people notice it. 

https://use1-omada-northbound.tplinkcloud.com/doc.html#/home 

for the difference between Omada web API and OpenAPI, I explained on this thread. And I suggest you invest on OpenAPI, because it's more powerful, stable and sustainable.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/681658 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 287

Replies: 6

Tags

Related Articles