Need Help with Creating Switch ACL Rules Equivalent to statefull Gateway ACL rules

Need Help with Creating Switch ACL Rules Equivalent to statefull Gateway ACL rules

2024-08-12 19:54:51
Model: SG2016P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.20

I recently figured out how to use the Gateway Stateful ACL, which, as a network novice, I find to be the simplest to understand. I've set up some basic ACL rules to block traffic between my VLANs: my "Default" VLAN can access the "IoT" VLAN, but not the other way around. This setup works well for most of my needs.

Now, of course smiley , I have a situation where I need a specific device on my IoT VLAN to communicate with a server on my Default VLAN. From what I understand, because I’ve set up deny rules on my gateway, I can't override them later with allow rules on the Switch ACLs, since permit rules need to be placed before deny rules.

What I’m looking for is a working example of a set of Switch ACL rules that are equivalent to the Gateway Stateful ACL rule (blocking IoT from accessing Default, but default can access IoT).

I cant wrap my head around how Switch ACLs work, but maybe once I see such an example - that works like the statefull Gateway rule (if it’s even possible), I’ll be able to add the permit rule myself above those.

Thanks

TrekkieDK

Denmark

Options
1 Reply
Re:Need Help with Creating Switch ACL Rules Equivalent to statefull Gateway ACL rules
2024-08-13 02:20:44

Hi @TrekkieDK 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

In essence, there is no way it can behave like the stateful gateway ACL. That I cannot provide a guide on this. Speak from the theory.

Death Metal had some good posts about the ACL schemes which may seem to be stateful but a very complicated way to configure it. You can check out the label KB which filters some of his posts about the ACL. Posts can be found on both switch and router pages.

An alternative to Gateway Stateful ACL using Switch ACL

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options