ER8411 WAN IP Alias - Multiple WAN IPs - Same Port Forwarding

2024-08-21 21:09:30 - last edited 2 weeks ago
Tags: #NAT
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

I currently have a few of these Firewall Routers. In v1.2.0 firmware and the current v1.2.1 - there is a feature called WAN IP Alias, where I can assign multiple addresses to the WAN Port. Which is great since in my data centers I have IP block. My hope is that we could assign specific WAN IP's to Ports which would route to individual hosts in the network and I could assign the same Port... However, when trying to configure this in the Transmission NAT Page, even when selecting different WAN Alias IP's it will not let me assign the port more than once.

Example....

WAN IP -> PORT -> Internal Server/Port

xx.xx.xx.100 -> 443 -> Destination server 192.168.0.100 Port xxxx 

xx.xx.xx.101 -> 443 -> Destination server 192.168.0.101 Port xxxx

If this rule prevents using the same port differently on the WAN IP what is the point of WAN IP Alias - or is there some other area you have to configure first?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER8411 WAN IP Alias - Multiple WAN IPs - Same Port Forwarding-Solution
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hi everyone,

First, the official fix will be V5.15.X. https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/667656?replyId=1359010

If you are using the controller, please note that it should require the controller adaption.

Please note that this will involve an adapted firmware, not just a controller update. Firmware development is a complex process, and timelines may change. Therefore, we cannot provide a specific release date at this time. Please stay tuned to future firmware release notes for updates.

Second, you require a standalone beta, based on V1.2.1. Download here.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:ER8411 WAN IP Alias - Multiple WAN IPs - Same Port Forwarding
2024-08-22 00:54:04

Hi @SG_Phil 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Try one to one NAT.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-08-22 12:53:22

@Clive_A are you suggesting that I do this (One-to-One NAT) in addition to the Transmission - Virtual Server - Port Mapping? 

I am following this guide https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/4006/ to the letter and when I set up the second port with completely independent IPs i get a conditional message that says "The external port has already been assigned to other rules" and will not proceed. 

Options
2024-08-23 00:28:58 - last edited 2024-08-23 15:13:10

Hi @SG_Phil 

If you cannot do this, then it could be the firmware that has not adapted to this.

See this thread who I had a conversation and debug with a member.

ER8411 - Unable to port forward same port number for multiple WAN alias IPs

Options
2024-08-23 15:05:10

@Clive_A Thank you for the feedback. I did read that post, but it was an odd, non-relatable post - because it doesn't reference the firmware on the actual router but the software version of the SDN controller. I have tried various combinations of Firmware versions on the router itself in standalone mode and working in Controller mode with no success. The FAQ URL/link i provided in my previous response literally calls out the model router I have and references current firmware, yet following the instructions word for word does not work.

I have opened a support ticket in conjunction with this community inquiry. The current response from the support ticket is that it appears there is a problem with the currently released firmware versions, where this is not functioning as expected (aka a bug). So, at this point, while the feature is designed to work—and documented to work—at least on the ER605v2 and ER8411 units, the current available Firmware is not working as designed. 

I will update this thread with any progress I make with support since this feature is critical to our use case for the TP-Link ER8411 in our environment. 

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @SG_Phil 

SG_Phil wrote

@Clive_A Thank you for the feedback. I did read that post, but it was an odd, non-relatable post - because it doesn't reference the firmware on the actual router but the software version of the SDN controller. I have tried various combinations of Firmware versions on the router itself in standalone mode and working in Controller mode with no success. The FAQ URL/link i provided in my previous response literally calls out the model router I have and references current firmware, yet following the instructions word for word does not work.

I have opened a support ticket in conjunction with this community inquiry. The current response from the support ticket is that it appears there is a problem with the currently released firmware versions, where this is not functioning as expected (aka a bug). So, at this point, while the feature is designed to work—and documented to work—at least on the ER605v2 and ER8411 units, the current available Firmware is not working as designed. 

I will update this thread with any progress I make with support since this feature is critical to four use case for the TP-Link ER8411 in our environment. 

I reviewed the conversation I had with the previous customer and the dev. I think we are talking about the same thing. WAN alias, port forwarding the same port on different alias.

The firmware of ER8411 V1.2.0 has been fixed based on the email I had with the team.

The problem is that the controller has not adapted to this so you cannot actually use it from the GUI.

The internal group has been asking this last week and I found you have created the ticket. So, I will stop following this and you can update the progress about the ticket or resolution from the rep.

Options
Re:ER8411 WAN IP Alias - Multiple WAN IPs - Same Port Forwarding-Solution
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hi everyone,

First, the official fix will be V5.15.X. https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/667656?replyId=1359010

If you are using the controller, please note that it should require the controller adaption.

Please note that this will involve an adapted firmware, not just a controller update. Firmware development is a complex process, and timelines may change. Therefore, we cannot provide a specific release date at this time. Please stay tuned to future firmware release notes for updates.

Second, you require a standalone beta, based on V1.2.1. Download here.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 weeks ago

@Clive_A Thanks - Support Team has been great and this beat firmware fixed - works really well!

Options