Ethernet switch going to sleep

3 weeks ago
Model: TL-SG105S  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0

Hi, I have the following configuration at home:  Virgin optic fiber connected through the standard Virgin Modem/Router provided by Virgin (latest version).

Then I have an ethernet cable going from my Virgin hub to to a first TP link switch and then a second ethernet cable going from the first switch to second switch. Both Ethernet switches are TP Link TL-SG105S.

The second switch is connected to my laptop though an ethernet cable and to a TP-Link Wifi extender through another ethernet cable.

Typically, everything works well, however sometimes the Internet keeps disconnecting. Specifically, while my internet from Virgin is very stable, after several tests I have found that the problem is the first switch - it looks like sometimes it either goes to sleep or stop working for a few seconds (sometimes up to one minute).

As soon as I plug in a different laptop to this first switch, then everything is working perfectly well again and my connections never drops. It looks like permanently connecting a laptop to the first switch (that keep the switch busy / up and running) keeps my overall internet chain robust without any disconnection.

I clearly cannot constantly keep a laptop connected to the first switch just to avoid this dysconnectivity (or "keep the switch up and running"). Just to clarify, this is not happening all the time, just from time to time. Again, it looks like from time to time the first switch decides to stop working or going on pause. 

Any idea on how I can permanently solve this problem?

Thanks 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Ethernet switch going to sleep
3 weeks ago

Hi @Lorenzo999 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It should not be like this.

How long is your Ethernet cable?

If you connect a 3ft cable with a computer for tests for days, will this behave periodically?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
3 weeks ago
Options
3 weeks ago
The cable from the Virgin hub to the first switch is about 2 meters long. The cable from the first switch to the second switch is about 10 meters long and the final cable from the second switch to my PC is about 3 meters long. If I connect a second PC to the first switch, then the connection is super stable, it never stops. This is why it looks like if the first switch is only connected to the second switch, for some reasons from time to time it stops working, it is like is going on sleep or somehow does not work properly anymore. As soon as I reconnect another PC to the first switch then it looks like it resets or does something and everything is back to normal. If I keep the second PC always connected to the first switch (i.e. the first switch is always busy), then everything remains always super stable. Any idea?
Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @Lorenzo999 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Lorenzo999 wrote

The cable from the Virgin hub to the first switch is about 2 meters long. The cable from the first switch to the second switch is about 10 meters long and the final cable from the second switch to my PC is about 3 meters long. If I connect a second PC to the first switch, then the connection is super stable, it never stops. This is why it looks like if the first switch is only connected to the second switch, for some reasons from time to time it stops working, it is like is going on sleep or somehow does not work properly anymore. As soon as I reconnect another PC to the first switch then it looks like it resets or does something and everything is back to normal. If I keep the second PC always connected to the first switch (i.e. the first switch is always busy), then everything remains always super stable. Any idea?

There is no sleep mode on a switch. The green mode does not sleep.

I would recommend you focus on the hardware aspects as this is an unmanaged switch. There is basically nothing you can do with the software. Loop and cables. Nothing else.

If you believe it is a hardware issue, RMA with a replacement and you can check it again. If this persists, it is your network environment or other aspects like computer settings.

You can pay attention to the IP settings. If you get an IP address when it loses a connection? Port light.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options