DNS/IP config issue

DNS/IP config issue

DNS/IP config issue
DNS/IP config issue
Thursday
Model: RE700X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have just bought an RE700X range extender.

I set it up using the web inteface (tplinkrepeater.net) on my mobile and that worked fine. The leds show that it is connected to my router (a BT Smart Hub 2) on both the 2.4 and 5ghz bands.

However, I am having a weird issue with the connection. When I try to connect to it from my mobile (Google Pixel 6) it gives me an ipconfig error and won't connect.

When I connect from my PC, it connects, but will only resolve certain websites. Google works fine, as do a few other random sites I've tried (e.g. theguardian). But others just don't connect (slate says "you're offline", theatlantic won't resolve). It also won't connect to tplinkrepeater.net When I switch back to connecting directly to my router, all sites resolve fine.

I've searched and cant find a clear answer to what's going on here or how to fix it. I can't fiddle around in the settings either using the tether app or the web interface because my phone now won't connect to the extender network.

Options
8 Reply
Re:DNS/IP config issue
Friday - last edited Friday

@sumpsimus 

You may have misconfigured the RE700X.

Reset the RE to its factory defaults and re-configure from scratch. Use your PC or laptop to connect to the RE WebGUI.

I would suggest to use a static IP address for the RE in the same subnet as your router.

For example if your router is with IP address 192.168.0.1, set the RE LAN IP address 192.168.0.254.

For DNS use the LAN IP address of your router.

Also disable its DHCP server (set it to OFF).

Thus, you'll always know the IP address of your RE700X if you need to access its WebGUI.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Friday

@terziyski 

Thanks so much for taking the time  to help. I tried what you suggested. My router is at 192.168.1.254 so I set the range extender to be static on 192.168.1.6. I set the DNS as the router address and turned off DHCP.

My router is a BT smart hub 2, which broadcasts on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, but with the same network name - they can't be disentangled. In case that was causing an issue, I also connected only to the 5ghz band.

I'm going to spell out exactly what happened next in case any of it has any significance:

1. I connected to the extender's network (TP-Link_Extender) from my laptop.

2. I tried to load both tplinkrepeater.net and theatlantic.

3. The network disconnected, and then reconnected to a network called TP-Link_Extender 2 (the original TP-Link Extender network disappeared).

4. both theatlantic and tplinkrepeater.net loaded, but then immediately dropped. And now I'm back to the same issue again. Some sites (like theguardian and google) work. Others (like theatlantic and the actual range extender's web interface) don't.

Options

@sumpsimus 

You can name the extended network this way so you know to which wireless band you're connected:

Once you've set a static IP address for the extender you can access its WebGUI via http://192.168.1.6

Make sure that you're with the latest FW release for the RE700X.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Friday

@terziyski 

Thanks again. I did try that, and regardless of which band I'm connected to, I get the same issue. Internet randomly drops to 'no internet' or it is connected but seemingly random websites won't load.

It really seems like some kind of DNS issue, or maybe some kind of naming conflict on the network?

I definitely have the latest firmware (I checked). 

Options
Friday

@sumpsimus 

Actually the DNS IP 192.168.1.254 in the RE is your BT router IP address which resolves the domain names correctly.

Try the following - disable BT router 5 GHz band and connect the RE to the BT 2.4 GHz band only, then test how it goes.

Options

@terziyski 

Thanks for the continued efforts to help. Unfortunately I can't disable the 5ghz band. My router (the BT Smart Hub) doesn't allow disabling individual bands. It's a very annoying limitation of the router.

Options
Sunday

@sumpsimus 

Another way to extend your wireless coverage at your premises is to use the RE700X in AP mode. This involves additional cabling and connecting RE700X to your BT through its LAN port. You may try this scenario and test how it goes. In AP mode you can name the RE's SSIDs the same as in your BT router.

Options
Yesterday

@terziyski 

Thanks - but that's not going to work for my setup unfortunately. I've got TP-link tech support calling me today. So if they are able to resolve the issue then I'll post the solution here.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 122

Replies: 8

Related Articles