EAP-Outdoor not restarted since thunderstorm

2 weeks ago
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

After a bad thunderstorm this last week, where there was a power outage to the house, eventually when electric back on everything started up again ok except the EAP225 didnt connect. Now it isn't showing in Omada app and in WiFi settings the EAP network is trying to connect constantly but never does. Doesn't even come up asking me to enter password. Anyone any idea how to get it going again. The green light is flashing (I think all the time).

Options
10 Reply
Re:EAP-Outdoor not restarted since thunderstorm
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Have you tried defaulting the AP by inserting a pin in the hole next to the ethernet jack and depressing the reset switch for 15s or so?  AP must be powered up when you do this.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2 weeks ago

Will make sure it's pressed in a fair length of time and report back. Thanks

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi,

Have done a full reset on EAP225 on outside wall but no different. So have bought 2 new ethernet cables - into and out of POE box and bought a new POE box and still can't get EAP225 to connect. Can see it on phone WiFi settings, but can't connect to it. It is shown in Omada app. !!!!

Options
2 weeks ago
Sorry should have read 'Cannot see it in Omada phone app'.
Options
2 weeks ago

@jettamc22 

Ok, there's one last thing you can try:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3186/

Oh, and a really really long shot, it's not entirely unheard of for contacts inside the ethernet jack housing in the AP to be damaged in the event of an electrical arc (caused my high voltage).  Maybe have a really close look at the 8 golden wires that form the contacts inside the AP's connector, look for rough or discoloured spots.

Options
2 weeks ago
I had the same experience with an EAP225-Outdoor after a nearby lightning strike. The EAP is about 40m away from the house and router. After the big bang, the EAP was still powered and on-the-air, with devices connected, but no internet. Both the router and the EAP Ethernet ports ceased to pass data. Now the EAP is useful only in a meshed mode.
Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@RF_Dude interesting post.  Made me think the issue is actually the isolation transformers used to decouple the ethernet link from the phy/mac chip device inside the AP that does the conversion between cpu data and ethernet encoded data.

Could be the decoupling circuitry onside the AP designed to protect the ethernet coils is inadequate for the voltage/current spikes you get in outdoor environments.  That is why I always use shielded outdoor ethernet cable and connectors and verify that the metal RJ45 connector jackets have electrical continuity.

Options
2 weeks ago

@d0ugmac1 Yes, you are right to use shielded cable, or use fiber for isolation.  In my case, I only installed / buried the Ethernet cable a month earlier, and it was pulled through 3/4" polypipe, so "double insulated"!  Now I have added a run from the house to barn 280 cable feet away with PoE++ for switch and EAP power in 1" Polypipe within a 4" agripipe.  Same idea, but Ethernet surge protection at both ends.  With the Ethernet, also pulled hybrid cable with 2 SM fiber strands and one pair of 18 AWG wire for power for future options.  The lightning damage risk exists for any metalic tether so must be mitigated.      

Options
2 weeks ago

@RF_Dude 

Yes, good reminder.  I prefer the Ubiquiti ethernet arrestor with 16-18AWG wire to the ground point of the plug feeding the gear.

Options
Saturday

@jettamc22 

Hi, Seems the storm frazzled the Sky router and all 4 ethernet ports are not working. Sky are sending a new router tomorrow, so should be good to go then.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 247

Replies: 10

Related Articles