making EAP 225 outdoor secure

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-03 16:41:00 - last edited 2023-05-06 09:01:25
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

have had the EAP 225 outdoor fitted and wired into my studio. I can connect my devices but the connection is unsecured. As I want to be able to use my SquareUp device for sales I'd like it to be secure. I have loaded up the Omada app and my device does not appear; the tplink web connection doesn't work; etc. etc. been going round in circles. My IP address links to my home router - can I make my studio connection secure by using that? In a love IT/hate IT fug. Why does nothing work like it should and why is the language used incomprehensible? 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:making EAP 225 outdoor secure-Solution
2023-05-03 22:48:01 - last edited 2023-05-06 09:01:25

@JennySK 

Hey and Welcome

This should be easy enough to setup for you!  

Im guessing when you connect to the EAP225 via the WiFi you are not asked for a password?  It just lets you on?   What is the name of the WiFi being broadcast?

What you need to do is change the WiFi to use encryption, then set your own Password..   you can also change the wifi name as you feel necessary, something like JennyOffice or whatever...  

Lets start with your current home router.. can you get onto the web interface for it?   If so look and see what the IP address for the EAP225 is, it will look something like 192.168.1.123   or 192.168.0.56   etc etc..   Once we have it you can start to work on things :)

If you are stuck post a screenshot here and I will get back to you :)

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-05-04 01:47:40 - last edited 2023-05-06 09:01:28

@JennySK 

Step 1 is to get in to the web configuration of the AP.  I can think of two ways to do this, you choose the less difficult :)

a) log into your modem/router, search the client list, and figure out what the IP address of the EAP225 is

b) remove the plastic front cover where the cable enters the AP from the bottom, and depress and hold the tiny button in the hole beside the jack with a paperclip for 10sec

If you go the (a) route, there's still a chance that whomever set up the AP the first time around changed the admin password and you don't know what it is.  If that is the case, then (b) is the only option.  If you do know, or have written down the AP admin password, then you should be able to access the web admin page by typing the following:

http://192.168.0.19 <--replace this with the actual IP you believe the AP has.  You can try every IP, it won't hurt anything.

With luck, one will show up with a TPlink logo and invite you to login.

If you go the (b) route, then the magic default TPlink network name should appear, and you can use the app to reconfigure the settings.

Speaking of which, here's roughly what you should see after logging into the admin interface of your EAP225:

You have two radios in this device, one at 2.4Ghz and the other at 5.8Ghz.  You need to change the settings for both.  You can use the same SSID (network name) and you should use the same security settings.  I recommend WPA-Personal or WPA2-Personal, both of which will ask you to set a pre-shared password, use the same network name and password for both radios to make life easy.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
2023-05-03 22:48:01 - last edited 2023-05-06 09:01:25

@JennySK 

Hey and Welcome

Im guessing when you connect to the EAP225 via the WiFi you are not asked for a password?  It just lets you on?   What is the name of the WiFi being broadcast?

What you need to do is change the WiFi to use encryption, then set your own Password..   you can also change the wifi name as you feel necessary, something like JennyOffice or whatever...  

Lets start with your current home router.. can you get onto the web interface for it?   If so look and see what the IP address for the EAP225 is, it will look something like 192.168.1.123   or 192.168.0.56   etc etc..   Once we have it you can start to work on things :)

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-05-04 01:47:40 - last edited 2023-05-06 09:01:28

@JennySK 

Step 1 is to get in to the web configuration of the AP.  I can think of two ways to do this, you choose the less difficult :)

a) log into your modem/router, search the client list, and figure out what the IP address of the EAP225 is

b) remove the plastic front cover where the cable enters the AP from the bottom, and depress and hold the tiny button in the hole beside the jack with a paperclip for 10sec

If you go the (a) route, there's still a chance that whomever set up the AP the first time around changed the admin password and you don't know what it is.  If that is the case, then (b) is the only option.  If you do know, or have written down the AP admin password, then you should be able to access the web admin page by typing the following:

http://192.168.0.19 <--replace this with the actual IP you believe the AP has.  You can try every IP, it won't hurt anything.

If you go the (b) route, then the magic default TPlink network name should appear, and you can use the app to reconfigure the settings.

Speaking of which, here's roughly what you should see after logging into the admin interface of your EAP225:

You have two radios in this device, one at 2.4Ghz and the other at 5.8Ghz.  You need to change the settings for both.  You can use the same SSID (network name) and you should use the same security settings.  I recommend WPA-Personal or WPA2-Personal, both of which will ask you to set a pre-shared password, use the same network name and password for both radios to make life easy.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:making EAP 225 outdoor secure
2023-05-04 16:39:50

@Philbert thank you - will try this (might need a G&T in hand

Jenny

Philbert wrote

@JennySK 

Hey and Welcome

Thank you for getting back to  me

Yes, it's just open access.

Hmm - wll try to get on to the home router web interface and try to set that to encrypt - will this affect the wifi in the house?

I can locate the IP address for the EAP225

Jenny

Options
2023-05-04 16:42:25

d0ugmac1 wrote

@JennySK 

@d0ugmac1 thank you - especially for the pictures! this will really help - I'll try what you suggest

thank you

Jenny

Options
2023-05-04 17:07:10

@JennySK 

If you change the open access to secured it affects all devices that attach to it.  You could create multiple SSIDs, ie create a new one that is encrypted for just the payment terminal, but then anyone can jump onto the open SSID and still gain access to the payment terminal and traffic, so not much point in that.

With a router and even more IT 'ugh', it's possible to do both above successfully and safely, but I'd suggest you just add encryption to your existing AP(s) with the same SSID/password and make the changes to your other household devices once and then move on.

Options
2023-05-05 09:18:27

@Philbert Thank you for your help.
I solved it by logging on the to TP-Link website through the household wifi, set up a username and password for the TP-Link site,  and then named the new device with the household SSID and password for both the 2.5 and 5 GHz. It seems to be working, fingers crossed.
what a kerfuffle, but thank you for your help
Jenny

Options
2023-05-05 09:18:58

@d0ugmac1 Thank you for your help.
I solved it by logging on the to TP-Link website through the household wifi, set up a username and password for the TP-Link site,  and then named the new device with the household SSID and password for both the 2.5 and 5 GHz. It seems to be working, fingers crossed.
what a kerfuffle, but thank you for your help
Jenny

Options
2023-05-05 21:26:12

@JennySK 

Hey

Happy days, glad you got sorted ok in the end! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 797

Replies: 8

Related Articles