Band Steering spotty when roaming

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: EAP650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.15

I have a site with two EAP650s both wired (no mesh).  I have band steering on (prefer 5GHz/6GHz) but find that when roaming from one AP to the other it will switch to the 2.4GHz network even though the 5GHz signal level is very strong (-40db).  I have to disable and re-enable WiFi on my laptop, sometimes more than once, to get on to the 5GHz band.  The roaming itself works, it switches to the nearest AP as expected, but drops me to the 2.4GHz band.

I have both Fast Roaming and Non-Stick Roaming enabled.

Is there something else I need to configure?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Band Steering spotty when roaming
a week ago

Hi  @goow-jhg 

Will this issue happen on all 5G clients? or some having this issue, some not?

Will this issue happen every time after roaming?

Please also let us know the firmware version of the EAP units and the controller you are using. 

Options
Re:Band Steering spotty when roaming
11 hours ago

@Vincent-TP It happened using both a Dell laptop and an iPhone SE 3, but I haven't had a chance to do more testing yet, and no users have complained. 

I suspect this may be because the two APs are relatively close together (about 85 feet separated by 2 external walls and a parking lot).  They're both wired and mesh is turned off.

I am experimenting with reducing the transmit power to "medium" in the 2.4GHz band while leaving it "high" for 5GHz.  I'll report back when I have more data.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 91

Replies: 2

Related Articles