ER605 VPN Server issue

ER605 VPN Server issue
ER605 VPN Server issue
Thursday - last edited Tuesday
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: v2.2.4

Hi everyone, 

I just upgraded my ER605 firmware from 2.0.0 to 2.2.4, and my OpenVPN setup doesn't work anymore. 

The ER605 is behind a modem (on the NAT port) on which dynamic DNS is set up. 

I have also setup a dynamic dns on the ER605 as well (the same as the modem). 

However, after the firmware upgrade, my VPN stopped working, and I can only connect now via remote IP and not the DNS name which is not ideal as my IP is dynamic. 

Here is the OpenVPN setup as well: 

After I downloaded the OpenVPN config file I changed the IP to reflect the DNS name 

As mentioned, I've tried deleting old entries and making new ones without any success (at this point, I'm not sure if I've messed up anything after so many tries).

The same setup used to work before the firmware upgrade. 

Any ideas about what I can do or where to look for a solution ? 

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 VPN Server issue-Solution
Monday - last edited Tuesday

@MR.S 

That seems to be the issue. After changing the IP Pool everything now works. 

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:ER605 VPN Server issue
Thursday

@jpmaglees 

change 
comp-lzo no
to
comp-lzo

Options
Friday
Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Friday

@MR.S 
  @Clive_A    

I've tried both ways with comp-lzo adaptive and comp-lzo without any success, unfortunately. My OpenVPN Connect client is v3.5 

Options
Friday

I've tried everything I could think of. 

Resetting the router and configuring it from the beginning, 

Creating a new DDNS domain,

Downgrade the firmware to v2.0.0 where it used to work (it did not work this time).

I don't know what else to try now, and I'm not even sure where the problem is. The only thing I'm sure of is that I regret upgrading the firmware in the first place.

Jokes apart, this is a huge problem for me as this setup serves my office lab for remote access as I'm rarely at this office and I need to access the server daily. 

Options
Friday

@jpmaglees 

try downgrading the OpenVPN connect client to 3.4.4 you can also try the tp-link client

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/er605/v2/#VPN_Client

Options
Friday

@MR.S 

Tried both, none of them worked. 

Options
Friday

@jpmaglees 

There must be a misconfiguration somewhere. try setting the ip pool to 10.22.1.1/24, I don't have any problems, I've tested several vpn clients and they all work.

Have you configured any router ACLs?

Options
Sunday

Hi  @jpmaglees 

What's your WAN like? Like the first DDNS result? Does the VPN even connect?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Sunday

@Clive_A 

My WAN is nothing special. The only thing connected to my ISP's modem is the ER605. 

So, the network architecture goes like this: 

1) The ISP's modem with DDNS setup and port forwarding the OpenVPN port to my ER605 

2) From Modem LAN to ER605 WAN 

3) The ER605 as an OpenVPN server with the same DDNS setup as the modem.  

That's it, after that, some devices are connected to ER605 LAN ports. 

The first DDNS cannot be resolved remotely, but that's normal, I believe, as the ISP is blocking ICMP. However, you can NMAP the DDNS. 

OpenVPN only connects via the WAN IP from ER605, but of course, I have to be on the network for that.

What bothers me is how the firmware upgrade affects the OpenVPN setup, which was working previously with no problems. 

The only thing remaining to try is to reset both the ISP's modem and ER605 and try again. 

Nothing else comes to my mind. 

Options
Re:ER605 VPN Server issue-Solution
Monday - last edited Tuesday

@MR.S 

That seems to be the issue. After changing the IP Pool everything now works. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 251

Replies: 11

Related Articles