Removing Radiation from a Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-26 05:13:11
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,
I am using TL-WR941ND and want to turn off the wireless connection in order that the router may not emit radiation. The model does not have a way to switch off the antennas. From what I understand, a router with the antennas removed will emit more radiation at close distance than a router with antennas on, because it seems that the radiation field will be more focused at a short distance, although it will be weaker at a longer distance.

If I open the case of the router and cut the wires of the antennas at the places where they are attached to the internal part of the device, will the radiation be totally removed, or will it become stronger (more focused) at a close distance?
Options
6 Reply
Re:Removing Radiation from a Router
2017-05-28 11:26:30
If your TL-WR941ND do not have a wireless on/off switch at the back, you probably need to do Google how to DIY some form of shield or faraday cage over the antenna/router.
Options
2017-05-28 15:40:34

Vlad Kotenko wrote

I am using TL-WR941ND and want to turn off the wireless connection in order that the router may not emit radiation. The model does not have a way to switch off the antennas.

What you need is the capability to run off the wireless radio which is not available with stock firmware, try switching to DD-WRT or OpenWRT
Options
2017-05-28 19:37:30
Thank you for some suggestions. Reinstalling the firmware may be difficult, and I do not know whether the router will work well with it. I will have to find out whether cutting the wires of the antennas reduces or increases radiation at close range.
Options
2017-05-29 18:11:29

Vlad Kotenko wrote

Reinstalling the firmware may be difficult

You may read here and decide https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr941nd

A
lternatively, if you do not need Wireless capability, why not use the non Wi-fi TP-Link router TL-R860 http://www.tp-link.com/il/products/details/cat-4762_TL-R860.html
Options
2017-05-30 00:28:16
Thank you for the suggestions. Buying a non-WiFi router is a good option.

Do you know whether the DD-WRT firmware can disable the radiation completely, or will it only turn of the transmission of data, whereas the antennas will continue emitting radio waves without data?
Options
2017-05-30 14:09:03

Vlad Kotenko wrote

Thank you for the suggestions. Buying a non-WiFi router is a good option.

Do you know whether the DD-WRT firmware can disable the radiation completely, or will it only turn of the transmission of data, whereas the antennas will continue emitting radio waves without data?

Both DD-WRT and OpenWRT have the option to disable wireless radio which disables both the radio and wireless transmission of data
I've checked, TL-WR941ND is supported by OpenWRT, instructions to disable wireless are listed here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=13176
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1828

Replies: 6

Related Articles