Turning off DHCP setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Turning off DHCP setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Turning off DHCP setting
Turning off DHCP setting
2019-11-27 21:59:37 - last edited 2019-11-28 03:44:34
Model: EAP115  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, just configured an EAP115 as a single AP connected by CAT5 cable to my broadband router to improve covergae at back of house.  The AP is functioning and i can get onto the internet, but at present it is working as a stand alone unit and i have to manually connect to it becuase i can't find where to disable DHCP setting when logged into AP IP address, so rather than being complimentary it is competing with my router.  I want it to work in conjunction with my original router, so devices will simply switch seemlesly between the two depending on which signal is the strongest.  Once I've got this configured right, I'll give the AP the same SSID, so it should all work as one wifi network.  Anybody know how to turn off the DHCP on an EAP115 or should I be looking at something else?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Turning off DHCP setting
2019-11-28 10:28:33

nedski wrote

Anybody know how to turn off the DHCP on an EAP115 or should I be looking at something else?

EAPs are just access points. They don't have a DHCP server.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2019-11-28 17:17:17
ok thanks. So any ideas how I make the AP a "dumb" AP so that it works in conjunction with my router, such that my connected devices simply switch between the two?
Options
2019-11-28 19:06:56 - last edited 2019-11-28 19:27:11

nedski wrote

ok thanks. So any ideas how I make the AP a "dumb" AP so that it works in conjunction with my router, such that my connected devices simply switch between the two?

EAPs are already so-called »dumb« APs. Unlinke WiFi routers, EAPs don't have any routing functions nor any other services typically found on a WLAN router. It's the other way around: WLAN routers are just routers which also have a »dumb« WiFi AP built in (beside DHCP server, DNS server, a firewall and an Ethernet switch; often also a cable modem or DSL modem and sometimes even a telephony system).

To have wireless roaming between a router's WLAN and an EAP you just need to assign the EAP the same WLAN name (SSID) as being used by your wireless router's AP. To reach the EAP for management you should set it to a free (otherwise unused) IP from the router's local network IP. For example, if the router uses IP 192.168.1.1, set the EAP to 192.168.1.2 if – and only if – this IP isn't used by another device.

Then connect the EAP to the router's LAN. Clients connecting to the EAP will receive a dynamically assigned IP (192.168.1.whatever) as well as the gateway IP (192.168.1.1) and the DNS server's/forwarder's IP (almost always the same IP 192.168.1.1 in home networks) from the DHCP server running on the router. Check this settings on a client device connected to the EAP.

This is the basic topology (with or without an additional Ethernet switch):

Options
2019-11-28 20:48:33
think it's all good now, thanks. Where I was going wrong is I was using a different SSID on AP as a means to visually see when the network switched between router and AP (like I did when I set up my old router which worked in that manner before ultimately giving it the same SSID) not realising that this wouldn't work with particular hardware. Live and learn, thanks for support.
Options
2019-11-28 20:52:44
my topology is as basic as it can be. Simply an AP to router via active POE & CAT5, then into Router which is connected to phone line via filter.
Options
2019-11-29 00:46:25

Hello @nedski ,

EAP115 is an access point not a router, so there is no DHCP function on it. 

When the client devices connect to the EAP, actually it is the router not the EAP that assigns IP address to these client devices. 

About how to login to the management page of the EAP in Standalone mode, we have a faq about this, please refer to the following website:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1000/

By the way, even you set the same SSID on the router and EAP, the client devices will not roam from EAP network to the router, they will disconnect from the router and then connect to the EAP automatically. There will be several seconds that the client devices are disconnected from the network. 

If you want to roam seemlessly, you can deploy more EAPs and use Omada Controller to manage them, because the client devices can roam from one EAP to another EAP, not a router. 

Options
2019-11-29 11:06:25 - last edited 2019-11-29 11:23:46

forrest wrote

By the way, even you set the same SSID on the router and EAP, the client devices will not roam from EAP network to the router, they will disconnect from the router and then connect to the EAP automatically.

Client devices will indeed roam from a router WLAN to an EAP WLAN or vice versa if both APs have the same ESSID. Roaming (technical term: »Handoffs«) were already supported under the preexisting 802.11 standards. »Fast handoffs« aka »fast roaming« aka »seamless roaming« also requires a disconnect from one WLAN and a re-connect to another WLAN with the only exceptions that the client does not need to do a WLAN survey before connecting to another AP inside the same extended service set and that an AP can force the client to perform a handoff.

But »slow« handoffs as defined in 802.11 is still roaming. That alone is needed for the definition of an Extended Service Set (ESS) and the ESSID (most often just called SSID).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5010

Replies: 7

Related Articles