Mesh configuration-/downlinking APs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-22 17:46:16
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.0 Build 20200113 Rel. 35383

In our network, we presently have 5 APs. The physical location enables us to link 4 APs to the root AP. When I look at the Mesh config. page for an AP, it shows the Downlink of each to be 4, but also labels the root AP as "Full"

Does this mean that if we install another AP (which we will need to do for better coverage) we will not be able to downlink to the root AP? At the time, since we are able to link all APs to the root, there are no hops. As I understand it, this is the best for performance.

If an AP can only handle 4 downlinks, how do you handle a really large mesh network?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Mesh configuration-/downlinking APs
2020-03-22 18:30:46 - last edited 2020-03-22 18:32:39

Byteguy wrote

Does this mean that if we install another AP (which we will need to do for better coverage) we will not be able to downlink to the root AP?

Yes. You can connect further APs to 1st hop mesh nodes rather than to their root node. Your current configuration already has one hop.

As for the performance, the number of hops isn't that critical since with more mesh nodes you won't be able to increase the capacity of the clients anyway. The whole mesh network will only serve as much clients as one single EAP can do. So, meshing can help to deploy further EAPs more easily (no cable connection needed), but it won't increase the capacity of clients.

If an AP can only handle 4 downlinks, how do you handle a really large mesh network?

By using more root nodes for the mesh network.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-03-22 20:54:17
Thanks, as usual.
Options
2020-03-22 21:37:29

@R1D2 Thinking about your answer: The root node is the AP directly (wired) attached to the CPE. To establish another root node, I suppose I would need a 3rd CPE in the mix. The client and access point CPEs (wireless) are connected to the root AP (wired). Is it possible to connect a second CPE to a second AP to create a second root AP? Not that we are anticipating this, but it made me curious.

Options
2020-03-23 02:38:57

@Byteguy, when we discussed the network topology, I mentioned that a PtP link using CPEs limits the total bandwidth to 100 Mbps (80 to 90 Mbps in practice, see this story).

So, the answer depends on your Internet bandwidth:

• If you have more than 100 Mbps Internet bandwidth, you would need another PtP link (a pair of two CPEs) to increase overall bandwidth.
  • If you have less than 100 Mbps Internet bandwidth, you could connect two EAPs to the same CPE using an outdoor Ethernet switch.

When using a PtMP topology (one CPE operating in AP mode and two CPEs operating in client mode) the max. bandwdith of the AP will be shared by both client CPEs.

IIRC we were also discussing to distribute the WLAN over a mesh link from the main building to the pier, right?

The point is that an EAP will give you 867 Mbps wireless throughput on the 5 GHz band and 450 Mbps wireless throughput on the 2.4 GHz band. A CPE link achieves only 300 Mbps in either the 5 GHz (CPE510) or the 2.4 GHz (CPE210) band. All values are WiFi throughputs over a half-duplex medium. The half-duplex goodput in 802.11n or ac mode is roughly wireless throughput - 30%, but the total goodput which can be achieved in practice strongly depends on usage (e.g. TCP vs. UDP protocol) and other environmental parameters such as interferences, AirTime etc.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1037

Replies: 4

Related Articles