Differences in EAP225 v4 and v5 in Omada Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-24 19:49:51
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20220713 Rel. 63370

Hoping you can help.....

I have two EAP225s but different hardware versions e.g. v4 and v5

My Version 4 is running:

5.0.8 Build 20220613 Rel. 51936

My Version 5 is running:

1.0.0 Build 20220713 Rel. 63370

When looking at both of these devices via my OC200 v2 5.6.4 - 2.6.1 Build 20220921 Rel.35903

I see the following differences:

V4

V5

On the Dashboard for Retried and Drop Rate:

V4 Looks too good when compared to V5. EAP225-S is V4 and EAP225-B is V5.

V4 Retried:

V4 Dropped:

V5 Retried:

V5 Dropped:

It would seem the V5 vs V4 measurements are more granular. I cannot explain why the device info for V5 is showing Busy & Free and the V4 is showing RX/TX Frames, Interference and Free.

Could you advise and say if there are any plans for newer Firmware releases for these EAP devices that would harmonise their appearance in the Omada Controller please?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Differences in EAP225 v4 and v5 in Omada Controller
2022-11-25 08:36:40

@Apples 

Generally speaking the difference in hardware version is in the chip, don't ask me how I know, after all I have asked their support several times on this issue, the answer is similar.

Also, these test results have a little more to do with the actual wireless environment that the EAP is in.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-11-26 13:00:15

@Virgo thanks. Appreciate this is RF dependent. However bearing in mind these EAPs overlap I would expect if they were interfering or operating in a congested environment to see a similar level of drops/retries on both. I don't believe the V4 is not encountering retries at all. This EAP always has a rock solid flat line, which is a little too good to be seemingly true. I have swapped their locations and the outcome is the same.

Understand they would be different chipsets, resulting in a different HW variant number. But why are the menus different/not harmonised in Omada Controller for the same product family? Just interested to know if there is a FW update imminent, particularly as the V5 has not had any updates yet?

Options
2022-11-29 05:45:28

@Apples 

The controller has been getting a lot of updates and features recently.
They seem to be iterating on the firmware of the gateway, switch and EAP series to adapt the new features of the controller, but this process will probably take time, as there are not too few products after all.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-12-15 20:55:25

@Apples Yesterday I noticed that my dropped packet rate on my EAP225 v5 had been running all day at 60-80% plus drop rate. Again my EAP225 v4 had no such issue and still looks like the screenshots I shared originally. I rebooted the device and the attached is how it looks now.

I also noticed the following issue related to an EAP 225 v5 and the latest Omada Software Controller_V5.7.6 release and now my HW controller has advised this release is available. I am reluctant to upgrade now as there seems to be concerns around this EAP version staying attached to the controller.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/592298

I have also raised the following request in the Business Router forum regarding release date schedules for Omada Devices FW, I am awaiting a response to a referral to R&D apparently.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/590120

@TandS raised a similar ask

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/590130

@MayhemHack also raised a question on FW for ER605 that related to similar points TandS and myself were making RE publishing FW dates for features promised in new Omada Controller releases yet to be unlocked by Device FW "Coming Soon". Ultimately the question here is how soon is coming soon. So far I have seen two Controller releases and still no device FW releases for any of my products.

As you can see I have concerns for EAP225 v5 still on its manufactured FW surrounding Dropped Packet rates, the new Omada controller potential issue and general GUI differences highlighted in this post.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/591942

Can we please get indications of when Device FW will be released please across Routers, Switches & EAPs?

Options