Adopt eap 660 in mesh mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-22 16:54:21
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi guys, I'm making a mesh network system of 80 eap 660hd devices in mesh mode.

I have a first AP root plugged directly into a 10 gigabit tplink vpn router. And then the other 79 cascaded after the first ap root in mesh mode to cover the entire structure.

I wonder, to adopt the first ap root it was enough for me to connect the cable and omada software sdn installed on my pc winwows immediately recognized the ap root and allowed me to adopt it in the system but for the other 79 what should I do?

There is a huge problem with these 79 remaining access points. They are all already connected in dc and fixed to the ceiling in the structure. How should I do to adopt them in mesh mode? I don't have to disassemble them all and connect them one at a time to the switch to make the system adopt them? It seems crazy to me and I ask the more experienced. 

I have not an harware controller oc300? you think it's necessary?
A thousand thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Adopt eap 660 in mesh mode
2022-12-22 17:51:18

@bnghstudio80 This system will perform poorly, you will need to wire connect more than one AP out of 80.  Please see this FAQ #2283, question #5 has links to for setup and adoption, and question #6 has limitations of mesh connections.  With a deployment of this size also read the Omada manual, the latest version is here Omada v5.6.

Options
2023-01-01 16:05:20 - last edited 2023-01-01 16:06:36

Hi Joesea, yes , you've you hit the spot. from device nr 35 the system perform poorly. From initial bandwith of 1gbps/1gbps the first 10 ap is about 900/900 from mesh ap 11 to 20 is about 800/800 from 21 to 30 700/700 and from 30 to 35 is about 500/450 So i've limited the maximum number of access point mesh to 50 devices.

Now i've a question. I've only one Root Ap near the gateway, i will add some other wired ap. What do you think is the right number od wired ap.

And so, what happens when i add new wired ap connected to main gateway? There will be multiple ap root in the system. In this case how do I handle the hops, can there be some problems? Thank you very much

Options
2023-01-02 03:18:45

@bnghstudio80 If I remember, you had stated in a deleted comment that the building is 8 stories.  A building of that type is most likely to have concrete/masonry floors that will sharply reduce wifi range and throughput.  So I'm guessing the mesh capacity you are seeing is on the workbench before installing in the building with one client to test the speed.  At a minimum, I would wire one AP per floor (Root AP), and it should be the most centrally located AP on the floor, with the mesh connections only on their floor.  That is to say, each floor will have a different channel for mesh from the floor immediately above and below.  Since all the APs in the mesh attached to a Root AP will be on the same channel, there is little extra bandwidth as you add more Mesh APs.  Having differing channels between floors, also prevents a Mesh AP from attaching to lower quality signal from an AP above or below.

Now I suspect the full install in the building with active clients, will also perform poorly with one Root AP and 9 Mesh APs per floor.  This is because, while AX wifi works really well in dense installations to reduce congestion, not all the clients will be using AX wifi devices.  There will still be several AC and N devices that will limit the benefits that come with AX.  Also all wifi devices on the floor will be on the same channel, and that will slow things down as everyone waits there turn to transmit, if this is a office building, it will grind the network to a halt, apartments could suffer from IGMP and mDNS slowing things.  Depending on how the rooms in each floor are constructed, two wired Root APs per floor will probably perform reasonably when the building is filled.  If the walls are dense, like concrete block, you may have trouble getting good mesh more than a room or two away from the Root AP.

I'm also assuming the building is a high occupancy building, otherwise there would be little need for this many APs.  So if the building is low occupancy with lots of area per floor and few walls, like a warehouse or light factory, then one Root AP per floor should work well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 729

Replies: 3

Related Articles