ER605 V2 and Multi-WAN Failover configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 V2 and Multi-WAN Failover configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
13 Reply
Re:ER605 V2 and Multi-WAN Failover configuration
2023-11-17 01:45:09

Hi @ASPERK 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

ASPERK wrote

@ASPERK 

Update. So I decided to try this device instead of teathering a phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKTSMQFF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Pretty interesting device with it's own failover mechanism ( I'm not using ) and the ability to send SMS for alerts for failover change and data usage.

I've only had it connected for a bit but so far it seems to use WAY less data than with the cell phone tether. Not sure why yet but will update as I know more.

About the usage of your metered network, except for the manual error where you set the backup WAN as "always online", can you please check Knowledge Base Common Questions About the Load Balancing & Link Backup(Failover)

So far I am not able to replicate the unusual data usage on the backup WAN. Would like to discuss and try to replicate your issue.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-11-17 02:07:39

@Clive_A 

Ok, this is embarrassing. I've been in IT for decades and have often told my clients to RTFM. Well, IF I had taken time to read more I'd have understood this issue.

In my mind "load balancing" meant the router was going to split traffic across both wan ports regardless. After reading over the links you sent I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong.

Thank you for the pointers. I'll let you know if I have any other issues with this.

Options
2023-11-17 02:21:41

Hi @ASPERK 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

ASPERK wrote

@Clive_A 

Ok, this is embarrassing. I've been in IT for decades and have often told my clients to RTFM. Well, IF I had taken time to read more I'd have understood this issue.

In my mind "load balancing" meant the router was going to split traffic across both wan ports regardless. After reading over the links you sent I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong.

Thank you for the pointers. I'll let you know if I have any other issues with this.

Load Balancing indeed splits the traffic and ensures you a backup connection. But failover is a different story. Failover is based on the LB as a redundant feature.

Feel free to update me. :)

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Tags

Load Balancing
WAN Failover
Related Articles