Purpose of domain name under Wired Networks -> LAN -> Networks -> Interface settings?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Purpose of domain name under Wired Networks -> LAN -> Networks -> Interface settings?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-07 12:37:19
Tags: #domain
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

If you go to the Settings tab and select "Wired Networks -> LAN" and then edit one of the networks, there's a section where it (optionally) asks for a Domain Name. The SDN manual does not explain what setting this value accomplishes. Does anyone know what the purpose of this field is for?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Purpose of domain name under Wired Networks -> LAN -> Networks -> Interface settings?
2023-07-08 11:09:02

@MwaItou 

Anyone knows?

Options
Re:Purpose of domain name under Wired Networks -> LAN -> Networks -> Interface settings?
2023-07-10 06:21:48

@MwaItou 

If you set a domain as LAN in this section, you can use the domain not an IP to access the device which obtained the IP from the interface.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-07-10 12:16:27
So, if I understand correctly: I set the domain for both LAN and VLAN10 to lan[dot]example[dot]com Then from PC1 I can refer to PC2 using PC2[dot]lan[dot]example[dot]com ? No need for a DNS server?
Options
2023-07-10 17:18:38
Ok, tried it and does not work unless I set a DNS server. By then, setting the domain name on Omada does not provide an advantage. Or am I missing something?
Options
2023-07-11 02:16:09

@MwaItou 

If you need to use domain to access each other across the VLAN, need a mdns setting. 

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-07-12 12:27:35

Right, I also set mDNS for all the VLANS wink

Options
2023-07-19 10:13:41

@MwaItou 

I think this works as a search domain.

For example, if you enter yourdomain[dot]com in the domain field this will get passed down to the clients. 

I you then try to ping PC1 from the client it will automatically convert this to PC1[dot]yourdomain[dot]com, the DNS record still has to exist on the DNS server. 

Options
2023-07-19 12:04:07 - last edited 2023-07-19 12:08:00

First of all I had to replace the dots in the addresses with something else as this forum keeps rejecting my post, doh!

Having fun with DNS LOL...

• Router LAN and VLANs have domain set to lan•example•com
  • Router LAN and VLANs have DNS records pointing to my NAS (192•168•10•2)
  • I even named clients on Omada, for example Camera for a given MAC address but I doubt it's for anything else but the display in Omada
  • Named the device, for example EAP for my access point device in Omada
  • Cloudflare DNS for example•com to my WAN
  • On Cloudflare, set a CNAME *•example•com
  • I have a reverse proxy on my NAS
  • My local DNS server (on my NAS) have a zone for lan•example•com
  • I also added a *•lan•example•com A record in my local DNS to point to my NAS for the reverse proxy to do its job

Now, on a PC

• I see that it's having a Connection-specific DNS Suffix with value lan•example•com coming from the router I believe (IPConfig /all)
  • I can ping a server from the reverse proxy, for example test•lan•example•com
  • Pinging eap•lan•example•com resolves to my NAS, probably because of the NAS DNS rule *•lan•example•com and not to the named device on omada
  • Same for pinging EAP, resolve to my NAS as eap•lan•example•com
  • Pinging another PC by name or FQDM gets resolved by the NAS proxy 😕
  • Going with NSLOOKUP, now we enter strange lands
    • DNS server is recognized as what I entered in Omada for the VLAN: 192•168•10•2 (my NAS)
    • Querying for:
      • MyPCName gives MyPCName•lan•example•com 192•168•10•2 (my NAS) 😕
      • MyPCName•lan•example•com gives MyPCName•lan•example•com•lan•example•com 192•168•10•2 (My NAS) 🤪
      • test gives test•lan•example•com 👍
      • Any entries from the NAS DNS gives the address it is configured to 👍
      • test•lan•example•com gives test•lan•example•com•lan•example•com 🤪
      • google•com gives google•com•lan•example•com 🤪

Surely I have configured something wrong but out of ideas for solving this

Options