ER605 L2TP/IPSec time issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-03 20:09:23
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

Hi all

I have a Client > Server L2TP/IPSec connection setup between two ER605's - one at a family residence in the UK and one in the US. Generally, this connection remains online and I have no issues for months. This setup is occasionally used for streaming from the UK when traveling. Recently I have started experiencing GeoBlock issues with certain apps. This never used to happen. A handful continue to work without issue, and others have a clock feature and it's showing my local time rather than the Server location time, thus prompting the block. I haven't been able to narrow down what is causing the issue and it appears to be random. The setup was working fine just a few days ago and now it's causing issues again. Last week I had the issue and it fixed itself when I restarted the tunnel.

When connected to the US ER605 and I look up my IP I get the UK IP address, which is working as intended. When I look up time I get my local time here in the US. Is there something I'm missing here?

Options
2 Reply
Re:ER605 L2TP/IPSec time issue
2023-08-04 07:42:41

Hi @thisisliam 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Since I am using VPN myself too, I cannot say this may be caused by the router or VPN.

For example, I connect to some US VPN servers, and on my phone, my iPhone time is still the local time(where I physically stand), though I have enabled full tunnel access. My stream works well.

My assumption would be that your device disconnects or drops a second connection and it switches to the real IP address which is Geoblock by the app service.

Do you use your devices in a stable WIFI network?

If this never happens before, but now, there is also a chance that the App improved its geo-IP monitoring or detection.

I don't see a better way to fix this. Probably turn on Airplane mode, use WIFI, and set the system time to that region.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:ER605 L2TP/IPSec time issue
2023-08-04 08:06:18

@Clive_A Appreciate your help! The TV (in this instance) is hard wired to the router. The VPN is not used in a wifi environment. After reboots on both end I ended up re-flashing the firmware on the server router and it appeared to fix the issue. The system time updated to the server time zone and the blocked apps began working again. Something to keep an eye on for sure!

Options