Set VLAN for switch management on smart managed switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-16 20:39:20 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:20:25
Model: TL-SG1016PE  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: TL-SG1016PE(UN)_V1_190118

Hello,

I'm having a hard time to set the switch IP (management) on the right VLAN, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

My setup is kinda simple, I have 5 VLANs (10, 20, 30, 40, 50) and my goal is to use VLAN 40 for network management. My uplink is on port #1.

So I configured the 5 VLANs with DHCP servers on my router, which seems to be working fine.

I enabled 802.1Q VLAN on the switch, added all the VLANs, set port #1 as tagged for VLAN 40 and set its PVID to 40 as well. Other VLANs are also set to "tagged" for port 1.

I then connect the switch to my router, but it keeps getting an IP from VLAN 10.

So I scrapped everything, started from scratch for both the router and the switch and instead of VLAN 40, I tried VLAN 1 (default VLAN), but the switch keeps getting an IP from VLAN 10.

Just in case, I tried to create an IP reservation for the right VLAN, but obviously, it didn't work.

I tried other models from the easy smart serie (like the TL-SG1024DE) and get similar "random" VLAN for management.

Unfortunately, for this model, you don't have an option to set the management vlan, only its IP setting and using a static IP in the wanted VLAN doesn't work either.

So I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if this model is just garbage when setting up VLANs.

Thanks !

Options
1 Reply
Re:Set VLAN for switch management on smart managed switches
2023-08-17 08:49:20 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:19:52

@Chuard 

think that you cannot make it happen with this kind of switch: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3629/

not to mention this requires oamda routers. if you want to set up management vlan, in controller mode, you can have this but requiring an omada switch. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 674

Replies: 1

Related Articles