Unifi to TPL - losing switch access changing DHCP to static, losing my patience with this TPL stuff

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unifi to TPL - losing switch access changing DHCP to static, losing my patience with this TPL stuff

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-28 18:29:18 - last edited 2023-08-29 16:34:41

I'm looking to switch my home Unifi setup over to Omada and I have a TL-SG3210 V3.6 and a similar 24 port switch ready.  I created a trunk on one of my Unifi switches for the setup of the switch, and I went into the TPL 8-port switch via console cable to set up the VLAN and an IP I use in my management subnet and VLAN (I don't use VLAN 1 for this).  

On DHCP it is grabbing the correct IP address and I can access the GUI via that IP.  When I switch it to the same IP but Static instead of DHCP I lose access, even if I use the console to save the config and reboot.  Clearly it would seem to be connected properly as it can get the proper IP address in the correct VLAN, but I am stumped as to why it works fine on DHCP and doesn't on Static.  Both also show the proper /24 mask so I have no idea what's up. 

Any ideas?

UPDATE 1 - well, after several hours of messing with this, and having these absolutely stop being accessible after I switch from DHCP to static, despite confirming via console that the VLAN and IP are "working" and being able to ping out, I think I'm about to send this stuff back.  Understand this has become a rant, but this is ridiculous.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unifi to TPL - losing switch access changing DHCP to static, losing my patience with this TPL stuff-Solution
2023-08-29 16:34:37 - last edited 2023-08-29 16:34:41

UPDATE 2 - Not sure if it was manually adding a default route or deleting the VLAN1 address altogether (likely the former), but I've now gotten to where I can maintain access after the change from DHCP to static.  Now to figure out why I can't see this device in my controller to adopt it, even though the inform IP for the controller was entered, they can ping each other, the Omada ports are opened in the firewall, etc.  Really trying to figure out how to do this without having to enable cloud access every time.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Unifi to TPL - losing switch access changing DHCP to static, losing my patience with this TPL stuff
2023-08-29 01:51:21

@BurntOC 

if you don't understand how tp stuff work, read the user guide. instead of becoming mad at it. i was there. when I first used pfsense, i was pretty confident that i can use it without reading anything at all. but now i'd refer to the user guide to understand what they call technically is the same thing that i understand when i am using other brands. 

different terms for a function that may be the same or completely different. 

if you have used unifi, then you should be fully capable of setting up vlan. and you should be at least know some basic cmd lines to verify your current situation when you lose access.

so, either you post your config here and find out the fault together with the community, or you should doublecheck it by yourself and see what's wrong. 

ever since i am working with the network and customers, things like this is definitely an issue with the configuration. things happen for a reason. 

you should particularly pay attention to the vlan tag/untag, switch IP address in the interface - vlan 1.

if you are using "management vlan", then you should use the controller. https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2814/

you should reset the switch now as you've messed it up. start over. use the console to do it. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
Re:Unifi to TPL - losing switch access changing DHCP to static, losing my patience with this TPL stuff
2023-08-29 14:41:48

@Tedd404 I appreciate the understanding nature of your response.  Here's the rub for me - I DO understand all of this.  I got my CCNA almost 20 years ago and I've been working with networks on some level almost ever since.  Short supporting point - my current setup leverages OPNsense (former pfSense user), the aforementioned Unifi network with 5 VLANs, and plenty going on.  Casting across subbets, interface source NATing, etc.  I've configured most brands of network equipment from TP-Link and Netgear to Cisco, Meraki, and Fortinet. 

That's not to say I can't make mistakes, but this is in the ballpark of 101 level stuff here.  I expect tagged and untagged frames and basic network behavior to be consistent following the OSI stack and standards.  If I use the same port config on any other L2+ device I have, and that device can get a DHCP address assigned by the router based on MAC reservation and it can communicate out to other devices, I don't expect to lose access to that device by making the single change to use that same IP as an assigned static address with the same subnet.  It's maddening.  That said, I'm sure that somewhere there is a technically sound and consistent reason this behavior is occurring, but I guess at the end of the day is I'm not asking for idiot-proof, I'm asking to meet the same basic configurabilty and consistency bar as every other SMB or enterprise equipment I've used - without reading 95% of the manuals.

Thanks again for at least replying.  For what it's worth, after dozens of "well I'll try this" changes and enabling cloud access (which I absolutely DON'T want to do going forward) I got the 8-port switch into the Omada controller and it has replaced one of my Unifi switches.  The ports have been configured in the firewall and I have disabled cloud access, but I'm once again trying the experimental route to getting the 24-port switch set up.  I'll give it a few more hours today, and if I don't have the "Eureka!" moment that will help me do this more easily going forward, I will just send it back and place the Unifi back in the network I guess.

Options
Re:Unifi to TPL - losing switch access changing DHCP to static, losing my patience with this TPL stuff-Solution
2023-08-29 16:34:37 - last edited 2023-08-29 16:34:41

UPDATE 2 - Not sure if it was manually adding a default route or deleting the VLAN1 address altogether (likely the former), but I've now gotten to where I can maintain access after the change from DHCP to static.  Now to figure out why I can't see this device in my controller to adopt it, even though the inform IP for the controller was entered, they can ping each other, the Omada ports are opened in the firewall, etc.  Really trying to figure out how to do this without having to enable cloud access every time.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 504

Replies: 3

Related Articles