Replace Router ER605v1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Replace Router ER605v1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Replace Router ER605v1
Replace Router ER605v1
2023-09-04 08:59:16 - last edited 2023-09-04 09:00:18
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20230511 Rel.51317

After countless attempts to replace my ER605v1 router with a more recent model, I am quite amazed at how such a simple undertaking can fail.

First the procedure failed with an ER605v2 and then with the same result on ER7206v1.

I always proceeded in the same way with the replace and can't find any fault with it:

1. Unbox the new ER605v2 and ER7206v1 / connect them directly to LAN port / login and configure the same LAN-IP address as my ER605v1 have / disable DHCP / reboot
2. Forget old ER605v1 from the Omada Software Controller v5.9.31.
3. Swap cables from ER605v1 to the newer one
4. Wait for the new router to be recognised with status Pending
5. Change to the correct Gateway Model in menu "Wired Networks/Internet" to the newer one and drag the WAN- and LAN-Ports settings to copy them
6. Adopt it in the Omada Software Controller and wait for provisioning, configuring and status connect
7. Only the VPN-Config will be lost, LAN-/VLAN- and WLAN-Config check will be fine

As a result, only a functioning LAN (VLAN ID 1) remains, which is the subnet of the router, and WAN, i.e. functioning Internet in this network area.
However, none of the other VLANs work any more, regardless of whether a device is connected via LAN or WLAN. No IP addresses are assigned to the clients and thus these network areas are not available, although the settings on the controller are displayed correctly.
I then deleted a VLAN and created it again afterwards, but this did not bring any improvement.

I have looked at some forum posts and the video from Dead Meat at youtube (LC EP31: Upgrade / Replace TP Link Gateway ER-605 with ER-7206) on the subject of router exchange, but still no success achieved.
All router have the newest firmware installed.

I would be grateful for any support in replacing the router without a complete manual reconfiguration of the more recent router.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Replace Router ER605v1
2023-09-05 02:41:03

Hi @ProPain 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

What you should worry about is if you have configured this. If you did not select the port of your switch, then it does not pass on the VLAN to the switch and you cannot use the switch for other VLAN.

I don't see anything wrong in your steps but quite suspicious about the config. Something must go wrong and you face a problem like this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-09-05 06:31:42 - last edited 2023-09-05 06:35:28

Thanks for the prompt feedback Clive_A.

I would be glad if that was the cause, because then it would be comprehensible and I could be annoyed about my self-induced misconfiguration ;-)

I have configured the LAN and all VLANs on all LAN interfaces, see screenshots.

and so on ...

With the port takeover, everything should be correct when changing gateways, right?

On one try I had also configured all 4 ports of the 605 to the respective port of the 7206 at the point "Copy LAN Port Settings", but this did not produce any other result.

Best regards

Options
2023-09-05 06:39:39

Hi @ProPain 

Can you unselect the ports in the VLAN interface, save and select these ports and save again?
I am not sure if this is a bug or an error when changing the settings.

You should map one to one like this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-09-05 08:53:23

@Clive_A 

I'll be happy to try it out, although removing all ports at once is not allowed.

If I remove and save the fourth port LAN (it is the only one used) in the VLAN configuration of the LAN interfaces, the connected devices from the VLAN loses the connection in any case, after re-enabling it works again.

Is it possible to check the port configuration on the router via ssh? I can log in via putty.

Best regards

Options
2023-09-06 05:48:03

Hi @ProPain 

I tested with with ER605 V1 adopted prior to the adoption of ER605 V2.

ER605 V1 last port is assigned with VLAN 100 and VLAN 200, VLAN1 of course. VLAN pass to the switch.

I copied the settings from the V1 to V2. Adopt and it worked. other VLAN works, too.

Options
2023-09-19 09:06:01 - last edited 2023-09-19 09:06:50

@Clive_A 

It was a wild ride, but now I was able to successfully put the new ER7206 router into operation with the existing VLAN configuration.
I came close to simply configuring the new router again completely manually.
The only thing I changed about the procedure I described was the IP address of the ER7206's LAN interface.
Instead of assigning the same IP address (192.7.0.1) that the old ER605 router had, I assigned another free IP from this address range (192.7.0.101) and after a long wait (adopting, provisioning, configuring) and a reboot, the ER7206 started with the address 192.7.0.1 without any further manual intervention and the network worked with the full VLAN configuration.

Thank you for the always timely support from Clive_A here.

Best regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 694

Replies: 6

Related Articles