ER605 won't work if a client set up a static ip

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-20 20:40:41
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

Hi, i've an enviroments as described below:

OC300 CONTROLLER 

1 GATEWAY ER605 V 2.0

1 SWITCH 52 PORT POE V 3.20

There is a building with 150 client average. 
The system work normally with sometimes just disconnect from controller but internet access is still present.

The problem happens when I try to set a static IP address from clients. When set to automatic dhcp it works fine. as soon as I set a static IP there is no network connection.

It seems that the gateway with a client with static ip address find it difficult to negotiate.  However, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, let's say 90% of the time it doesn't assign it a static IP, and the remaining 10% of the time it works but as soon as you restart windows the classic world map icon appears that says no connection... and then i go to network properties set obatain automatically an IP address and... it works immediately.

Out of a sample of 30 PCs the problem occurs on 25 of them. Maybe it's a coincidence about the others but I don't know

It must be said, however, that the connection of the building is shameful : 140 Mbit/s in downloads and 20 Mbit/s in downloads in vdsl
Maybe that's why he can't negotiate the IP so easily? It makes me think that there is some faulty switch or some faulty cable?

Another problem but which I think is related to bandwidth is the fact that the internet connection sometimes goes up and down, but internet access is still present,especially when using messaging systems such as WhatsApp. for example by sending a message the message is sent after 20 seconds with the classic waiting time clock comes out. The strange thing is that if I disconnect and connect the wifi from my cell phone, the message is sent immediately as soon as the wifi is reconnected and then it stops immediately afterwards and goes another time up and down, instable.

I read some problema with dhcp and er605. i've also a brand new er8411 . do you think i've to replace the 605 with this or it is totally useless.

Thanks a lot

Options
10 Reply
Re:ER605 won't work if a client set up a static ip
2023-10-23 07:06:42

@bnghstudio80 

Yes, ER605 has newer firmware you can give it a shot.

But what is the IP address you set for the default gateway ip when you set up a static ip for clients? Did you set the DNS either?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-10-24 06:23:48

Hi @bnghstudio80 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

150 clients, are they all PCs and cellphones? If yes, ER605 is not recommended for this kind of network. Usually, ER605 is designed for 50 or so clients network. This level of the network should require at least ER7206.

If you have hundreds of IoT, then ER605 can handle that. The baseline for other networking devices is still 50 or so.

Use the latest firmware for ER605: Official Release ER605 V2_2.2.2 Build 20231017 Official Firmware (Released on Oct 18th, 2023)

Try it and let me know if there is any issue with this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-10-24 17:02:19
i'll not see on my omada dashboard. i've to force upadate?
Options
2023-10-24 17:14:00

@Clive_A 

Thank you.

the configuration is this:

ER605 set to 192.068.0.1

Omada Controller OC 300 is set to 192.168.0.27 (i try to force it on 192.168.0.2 but nothing appen also if i restart controller)

Than there are a 48poe  TL-SG3452P on 192.168.0.3 and another TL-SG2008 set to 192.168.0.4 and 52 eap 660 and in the network 12 switch TL-SG105 and 20 switch TL-SG105P POE. maybe i've to use only omada switches?

I'm upgrading to 2.2.2. now. but i think I will try an er8411 instead of er604? it was a good solution?

thanks a lot

150 client yes pc and cellphone-. average using is 70 client but sometime 100 or 150 client can connect simultaneusly

Options
2023-10-24 17:16:21

@bnghstudio80 

antoher question

my oc300 is connected directly to gateway er605. on the port 2. there is a difference on oc300 lan port 1 or 2? and it's the right way to connect into gateway? or i've to connect on the first 52port switch?

thanks a lot for reply

Options
2023-10-25 01:44:30

Hi @bnghstudio80 

bnghstudio80 wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you.

the configuration is this:

ER605 set to 192.068.0.1

Omada Controller OC 300 is set to 192.168.0.27 (i try to force it on 192.168.0.2 but nothing appen also if i restart controller)

Than there are a 48poe  TL-SG3452P on 192.168.0.3 and another TL-SG2008 set to 192.168.0.4 and 52 eap 660 and in the network 12 switch TL-SG105 and 20 switch TL-SG105P POE. maybe i've to use only omada switches?

I'm upgrading to 2.2.2. now. but i think I will try an er8411 instead of er604? it was a good solution?

thanks a lot

150 client yes pc and cellphone-. average using is 70 client but sometime 100 or 150 client can connect simultaneusly

If you have that many concurrent devices using the Internet on your network, ER605 tries hard and may not give you the best performance. ER8411 may be overkill for your network but choice is yours. If you are gonna expand your network down the road, then it's a wise and future-proof choice.

I would recommend you use static IPs on your devices and configure them manually. This should be done from the web interface of all your networking devices. All parameters about the DHCP should be properly input. If you set up the DHCP on the router, exclude the range of the static IP range and avoid it's being distributed to the DHCP clients.

Or reserver them on the router, and leave networking devices in DHCP mode.

I hope this might help you manage your network well.

For this moment, you can try 2.2.2 and see if there is any improvement in your network. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-10-25 12:01:51
With 2.2.2 firmware the cpu of er605 goes from 25% average cpu and 35% average memory use to in high load to 20% cpu usage is less now and it seems to be more stable. With static ip setted on client the system is not stable there is always a messagge with no internet connection on client. DNS is set as automatic on er605. maybe the static ip don't work properly for this reason? in the client i set ip mask gateway and bogh primary and secondary dns with 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4. Now i'm using dhcp reservation and it seems ok.
Options
2023-10-27 08:09:22

Hi @bnghstudio80 

bnghstudio80 wrote

With 2.2.2 firmware the cpu of er605 goes from 25% average cpu and 35% average memory use to in high load to 20% cpu usage is less now and it seems to be more stable. With static ip setted on client the system is not stable there is always a messagge with no internet connection on client. DNS is set as automatic on er605. maybe the static ip don't work properly for this reason? in the client i set ip mask gateway and bogh primary and secondary dns with 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4. Now i'm using dhcp reservation and it seems ok.

Are you using iOS products? Try a different DNS in LAN. If you use the default gateway IP as the DNS, Apple does not like it and shows No Internet on it. But actually, there is no issue with the Internet at all.

I'd like to learn about the following test results. I still don't think there is a problem with the ER605. Would see more results and provide insights if necessary.

Options
2023-11-05 21:41:52

@Clive_A 

Hi the problem is still present with all kind of Host desktop laptop Windows 10 and Windows 11. Imac Also. 

With static ip There is no internet connection on the clien

t.. With dhcp reservation all seems ok

Clive_A wrote

Hi @bnghstudio80 

bnghstudio80 wrote

Are you using iOS products? Try a different DNS in LAN. If you use the default gateway IP as the DNS, Apple does not like it and shows No Internet on it. But actually, there is no issue with the Internet at all.

I'd like to learn about the following test results. I still don't think there is a problem with the ER605. Would see more results and provide insights if necessary.

Options
2023-11-06 01:54:01

Hi @bnghstudio80 

bnghstudio80 wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi the problem is still present with all kind of Host desktop laptop Windows 10 and Windows 11. Imac Also. 

With static ip There is no internet connection on the clien

t.. With dhcp reservation all seems ok

Clive_A wrote

Hi @bnghstudio80 

bnghstudio80 wrote

Use firmware V2.1.5 beta. Early Access ER605 V2_2.1.5 Build 20231024 Beta Firmware for Omada Controller V5.11 (Released on Oct 26th, 2023)

Run ping from these PCs. I need to see the screenshot of the following.

1. ipconfig

2. ping your-gateway-ip

3. ping 8.8.8.8

If you say only the reserved devices can work, did you turn off the DHCP server?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 882

Replies: 10

Related Articles