ER605 V2_2.1.5 Build 20231024 Beta Firmware for Omada Controller V5.11 (Released on Oct 26th, 2023)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 V2_2.1.5 Build 20231024 Beta Firmware for Omada Controller V5.11 (Released on Oct 26th, 2023)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-26 05:52:46 - last edited 2024-01-12 09:38:14
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.5 Build 20231024 (Beta)

This Article Applies to

ER605(UN) V2 2.1.5_Build 20231024 (Beta)

Release Notes:

New Features & Enhancements:

1. Add ACL support for IPv6 data.
2. Add support for IPv6 RA (Router Advertisement) configuration for LAN.
3. Add support for configuring multiple IP addresses on the WAN port.
4. Add support for monitoring session limits in controller mode.
5. Add support for configuring the MSS (Maximum Segment Size) of WAN port.
6. Add support for Gateway Tools in Controller mode.

• Ping.
  • Traceroute.
  • Terminal.

7. Add support for the ability to download device info of Gateway in Controller mode.
8. Add support for Location Group in Gateway ACL.
9. Add support for white list of MAC filtering in Controller mode.
10. Add support for tagging same VLAN ID on different WAN port.
11. Increased security of communication between Gateway and Controller.
12. Add support for DNS cache, which can improve domain name resolution speed by handling recent address resolutions locally before sending request to Internet .
13. Add support for DH 14 and DH 15 for PFS.
14. Add support for 0.0.0.0/0 IP range of local network when using IPsec IKEv2 for Client-to Site VPN.
15. Add support for DDNS custom intervals (1~60 minutes).
16. Add support for link-local addresses of IPv6 DNS on the LAN side.
17. Log Enhancements.

• Show the source IP address of TCP no-Flag /ping of death attacks.
  • Show the log of link backup switching.
  • Show the log of DDNS update.
  • Logs can be saved when the device is down. You need to short-press the reset button within 5s, and after releasing the reset button, the sys light will be on for 3 seconds to indicate that the downtime log is saved successfully.

Bug Fixed:

1. Fix the bug that ICMP type 13 packets cannot be intercepted.
2. Fix the bug that VPN Client cannot access the other side through IPsec when the device act as a PPTP/L2TP/OpenVPN Server and also establishes IPsec VPN with other devices.
3. Fix the bug that VPN client cannot proxy Internet access when VPN IP Pool and LAN IP are in the same network segment.
4. Fix the bug of CPU abnormality caused by enabling more VLAN Interface.
5. Fix the bug of high latency in ISP Load in Controller mode.
6. Fix the bug of frequent reconnection with Omada Controller.
7. Fix the bug that the VLAN configuration of IPTV is affected by the VLAN configuration of WAN port in Controller mode.
8. Fix the bug that the device does not support proxy internet access as Wireguard VPN client.
9. Fix the bug that Port Forwarding does not take effect under multiple WAN ports.
10. Fix the bug that new clients might lose Internet when bandwidth control is configured.
11. Fix the bug that Internet/DNS resolving might not work when using OpenVPN Connect App/Software to connect to the Router’s OpenVPN  Server.
12. Fix the bug that the device as an OpenVPN client failed to make all the Internet traffic be routed through the VPN tunnel.
13. Fix the bug that remote IP error displayed in the OpenVPN Tunnel interface when the device connects successfully as an OpenVPN Client.
14. Fix the bug that after the device connects to the Server as a WireGuard VPN Client, the peer cannot access the device via WireGuard Interface IP.
15. Fix the bug of command injection vulnerability in the login page.
16. Fix the bug that the device may not start.
17. Fix the bug that when DOH/DOT used with DNS cache, modifying the TTL value of DNS cache will cause the client to be unable to access the Internet.
18. Fix the bug that port forwarding probabilistically did not work.
19. Fix the bug that when the device is used as an OpenVPN client, the VPN tunnel cannot be reconnected automatically when it times out.

Firmware Download

Before the Upgrade

(1) Please be sure you have read the Beta Test Agreement before upgrading the Beta firmware!

(2) You may follow the following guide to upgrade your Omada devices. How to Upgrade/Downgrade Omada Gateways

Firmware Download Link

ER605(UN) V2_2.1.5_Build 20231024 (Beta)

Notes:

(1) The above firmware is applied to ER605 V2/2.6.

(2) Your device’s configuration won’t be lost after upgrading.

Additional Information

All feedback is welcome, including letting us know about successful device upgrades.

If somehow you encounter an issue during or after the ER605 router upgrade, it's suggested to contact us with the following info:

• Omada Controller version 
  • Device Firmware version with Build number (previous and current)

If your ER605 router gets bricked during the firmware upgrade, you may follow the guide below to recover the firmware.

How to use the Emergency Mode to recover the firmware for Omada Gateways

Update Log

Nov. 20th, 2023:

Update the format and incorrect description in the release note.

Oct. 26th, 2023:

Post the ER605 V2 2.1.5_Build 20231024 (Beta) firmware for early access.

Recommended Threads

Get the Latest Firmware Releases for Omada Routers Here - Subscribe for Updates

Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here - Subscribe for Updates

Experience the Latest Omada EAP Firmware - Trial Available Here, Subscribe for Updates!

Current Available Solutions to Omada Router Related Issues [Actively Updated, Post for Subscription]

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
58 Reply
Re:ER605 V2_2.1.5 Build 20231024 Beta Firmware for Omada Controller V5.11 (Released on Oct 26th, 2023)
2023-10-26 10:34:56

@Clive_A 

This is a little confusing.  You just posted ER605 V2_2.2.2 Build 20231017 has been released, which I noticed in another thread that a user had posted that this firmware was already listed on your EU site under the support page.  Now you've posted. this "new" beta build which has a lower version number yet newer build date.  What's going on here?

As near as I can tell, the features/enhancements are the same on both with the only difference being this newer/older version has a few more bug fixes in it.  This suggests that this build is in fact newer than the 2.2.2 release yet it has a less version number.  Can you please clarify?

Options
Re:ER605 V2_2.1.5 Build 20231024 Beta Firmware for Omada Controller V5.11 (Released on Oct 26th, 2023)
2023-10-26 12:45:14

@Clive_A I'm a little bit confused. You've just silently released the V2.2.2 and yet here's the Beta 2.1.5?

But well, I compared the release notes of the two firmware, there are additional bug fixes in this beta update.

Options
2023-10-26 14:27:09

@Clive_A 

Uploaded this at 2 remote sites... that had 2.1.4, 2.2.2, and now on 2.1.5.

Everything seems to be work... so far!

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-26 14:43:07 - last edited 2023-10-26 14:43:21

@ceejaybassist 

@SingletrackMind 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/634552

Clive commented on this beta dropped in that above thread. 

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-26 15:04:50 - last edited 2023-10-26 15:17:08

Hello,

I´m wondering too, what´s about ER605v2 2.2.2 and after that 2.1.5 version-difference .... but .....

Was not able to get Switch ACLs working over stateful Gateway ACL with blocking InterVlan-routing in 2.2.2 (worked on it whole day yesterday with 2.2.2). ... with 2.1.5 it works like a charm included mDNS for homekit unidirectional over VLANs.

Never had this all working as I expected and wanted before -> for this big thumb up for TP-Link ... TP-Link: that´s the right way !

Only difference between 2.2.2 and 2.1.5 i saw is in bugfixing point 15 to 19 for 2.1.5.

Greetings

yavin

EDIT after flashing 2.1.5: After reboot i was able to connect oc200 auto-backup location with Switch ACL over Gateway ACL (SFTP to Syno unidirectional). After random time last minutes ago i had no more connection over SFTP.

In my opinion there was a need for stateful ACL Gateway settings for unidirectional VLAN access.

Every other settings are working as expected mDNS included !

1x TL-ER605 v2 @2.1.5 - 1x TL-SG3428X v1 @1.0.12 - 1x TL-SX3008F v1 @1.0.5 - 2x TL-EAP660HD v1 @1.2.9 for Vacation: 1x TL-WR902AC v4 @230506
Options
2023-10-27 17:29:18 - last edited 2023-10-27 17:42:44

@Clive_A 

FYI,

I was running firmware 2.1.4 Beta on R605v2 and it was merely ok.

Just gave a try today and upgraded to 2.2.2.

My experience is this one (2.2.2) is broken ; r605v2 was stuck in an adopt-provisionning-configuring-connected-heartbeat-missed infinite loop.

From what I saw in the "application result" beta tab, even if the r605 was marked as "connected", configuration was still in progress (deploying on all items except those unsupported). About 1 minute after transitionning to the "connected" state, it changed to "heartbeat missed" ; connectivity was broken (the gateway was not routing anymore) before configuration finished.

A few seconds after, it swtched to adopt and the others states.

After 1 hour of uptime, it was still looping.

I had quite "hard" time to recover from this as the gateway was unresponsive to manual commands ; you cannot do anything unless it is in connected state. During the short period it reached this state, I tried to force a reboot but command failed, I tried to downgraded, but it also failed.

At the end, I had to factory reset the gateway, connect directly, downgrade the firmware, inject minimal configuration so it is able to reach my local instance of Omada...

BTW, do not enable the new "remember the device" feature in Omada ; it is also broken. It assumes the device comes with the Omada site provisionned admin password ; which is likely not the case after factory reset (unless you know this beforehand). In regular adoption mode (remember feature disabled), Omada will try a few times to adopt with the site credentials. In cas of failure, it will allow you to input the device specific credentials so it can overwrite the whole thing.

When "remember" feature is enabled, it just tries to adopt with the site crendentials... indefinitely...

In a few minutes, I was having hundreds of "adoption failed" log messages.

Okay, fixing this should have been straight forward, just switching to the local management web interface and inject the Omada site credentials as local admin credentials.

It was just another miss : When Omada is trying to adopt the gateway, it makes local sessions to instantaneously expire.

So you have first to prevent the gateway from commucating with the Omada controller ; thus you are good to go changing the admin password.

Finally, the gateway recovered and everything is back to normal state. But it was a lot of trouble for this supposed 15min-upgrade.

Recap : stable 2.2.2 is unstable, unusable in my setup.

beta 2.1.5 looks good (I did not downgrade back to 2.1.4 but downupgrade to 2.1.5.

Regards.

Options
2023-10-30 07:06:08 - last edited 2023-10-30 07:19:53

Hi @caramb 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

caramb wrote

@Clive_A 

FYI,

I was running firmware 2.1.4 Beta on R605v2 and it was merely ok.

Just gave a try today and upgraded to 2.2.2.

My experience is this one (2.2.2) is broken ; r605v2 was stuck in an adopt-provisionning-configuring-connected-heartbeat-missed infinite loop.

From what I saw in the "application result" beta tab, even if the r605 was marked as "connected", configuration was still in progress (deploying on all items except those unsupported). About 1 minute after transitionning to the "connected" state, it changed to "heartbeat missed" ; connectivity was broken (the gateway was not routing anymore) before configuration finished.

A few seconds after, it swtched to adopt and the others states.

After 1 hour of uptime, it was still looping.

First, a beta feature does not represent it is stable enough for production. If you have trouble with the beta feature, please report it to the SDN Controller section where Hank will take care of that.

But if the device has not made the configuration, your network is not going to work properly. This is expected behavior.

I am not sure what you have on your devices which causing the loop. There are many people upgrading to the V2.2.2 and they did not report this. Or I will see tons of similar threads recently.

So, if you'd like to work with me on this "looping" part, share your detailed configuration before the upgrade in a new thread. I'll follow it up.

caramb wrote

@Clive_A 

I had quite "hard" time to recover from this as the gateway was unresponsive to manual commands ; you cannot do anything unless it is in connected state. During the short period it reached this state, I tried to force a reboot but command failed, I tried to downgraded, but it also failed.

At the end, I had to factory reset the gateway, connect directly, downgrade the firmware, inject minimal configuration so it is able to reach my local instance of Omada...

You can stop this by disconnecting the wire connection and resetting the device which is what you did. Right.

caramb wrote

BTW, do not enable the new "remember the device" feature in Omada ; it is also broken. It assumes the device comes with the Omada site provisionned admin password ; which is likely not the case after factory reset (unless you know this beforehand). In regular adoption mode (remember feature disabled), Omada will try a few times to adopt with the site credentials. In cas of failure, it will allow you to input the device specific credentials so it can overwrite the whole thing.

When "remember" feature is enabled, it just tries to adopt with the site crendentials... indefinitely...

In a few minutes, I was having hundreds of "adoption failed" log messages.

This is a new feature to avoid any people resetting the device by accident. So the controller can readopt it without touching it.

You feel it broken because you did not pay attention to the Help Center with explanation.

The beta release note has also explained what that is.

Also note that V2.2.2 and V2.1.5 beta are both adapted to the V5.11. I am not saying it does not on other versions but it may have some trouble on some features. And is expected.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-30 10:00:31

@Clive_A Could you please clear up the versioning issue as 2.2.2 vs 2.1.5 beta doesn't make sense. Which is the base and what comes after 2.1.5 beta ? Which branch is being worked on, 2.2.2 going forwards ?

If you could post a branch / version table that would be helpful, thanks.

Options
2023-10-31 01:48:02

Hi @jpearn 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

jpearn wrote

@Clive_A Could you please clear up the versioning issue as 2.2.2 vs 2.1.5 beta doesn't make sense. Which is the base and what comes after 2.1.5 beta ? Which branch is being worked on, 2.2.2 going forwards ?

If you could post a branch / version table that would be helpful, thanks.

2.2.2 is a special version made for other purposes. It is not pushed via the cloud. 2.1.5 is based on 2.2.2 and added several fixes. The final build version may rely on the dev's decision.

You can upgrade from 2.2.2 to 2.1.5 beta freely and safely.

Options
2023-11-01 14:30:50

@Clive_A 

Can you please confirm the default ACL rules applied to IPv6 packets in this beta release?

After updating to this firmware in order to implement security on my IPv6 connection, I am unable to establish an IPv6 connection to my ISP.

The IPv4 connection is working fine but the ISP is NOT seeing any DHCPv6 requests from my connection.

Thanks 

Options