TL-SG108E getting a max of around 90mbps download and upload

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-21 22:56:21
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20211209 Rel.52369

I have gigabit download on my network but for some reason I can only get my TL-SG108E to do a max of 90mpbs. I'm running an OPNsense router setup connected to the switch which then distributes out to the rest of my network. When I connect my PC directly to the router I get ~1000mb download. This led me to believe it was potentially the cat5e but when I take the same cable used to connect the router and switch and use an extender to attach it directly to the cat6 going to my PC I still get ~1000mb down. I have tried disconnecting everything from the switch except my PC but still I only get 90mb down.

I have tried messing with the bandwidth settings but even with unlimited or a manual 1000000kpbs, I still only get 90mb down. The interesting thing is that I am able to limit the speed in the other direction, all the way down sub megabit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-SG108E getting a max of around 90mbps download and upload
2023-11-22 02:19:40

Hi @Freddie27117 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

What color do you see on the switch PC to SW? Orange or green?

If orange, that means the cable is not good enough to negotiate up to 1 Gig. So swap it with another one.

You can test a cable by connecting both connectors to the switch.

For this situation, if the switch can negotiate up to 1 Gig, it is not the hardware issue, you can iperf with two Gig Ethernet supported PC to verify that.

Usually, recommend you double-check the cable.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-11-22 04:35:57

@Clive_A 

The light on the switch port coming from the router is orange (this is the input for the switch, so that explains why all other connections are limited to 100mb). Everything else including switch to pc is green. That being said I don't believe it's the cable. When I remove the router to switch cable (the one coming up as orange), remove my pc cable, and connect them with an RJ45 extender I'm back up to 1000mbps on my PC. All the cables are the same in this scenario, the only difference here is that I am bypassing the switch.

I have done some more testing and I think you may be on to something with the negotiation process. When I use the switch my router states the connection is 100baseTX (full-duplex), however when I bypass the switch it jumps up to 1000baseT (again full-duplex). The "actual" speed in the switch interface says port 1 (which again is the input and orange light) is 100MF. I've tried manually setting it to 1000MF but I immediately get a link down under "actual" and the network crashes until I set it back to automatic which reverts it to 100MF.

I can try to manually force the router to use a 1000baseTX connection with the switch. If that doesn't work maybe I can go straight from my modem to the switch and then into my PC to try to rule out the router? Other than that do you have any suggestions?

Options
2023-11-22 09:41:11

Hi @Freddie27117 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Freddie27117 wrote

@Clive_A 

The light on the switch port coming from the router is orange (this is the input for the switch, so that explains why all other connections are limited to 100mb). Everything else including switch to pc is green. That being said I don't believe it's the cable. When I remove the router to switch cable (the one coming up as orange), remove my pc cable, and connect them with an RJ45 extender I'm back up to 1000mbps on my PC. All the cables are the same in this scenario, the only difference here is that I am bypassing the switch.

I have done some more testing and I think you may be on to something with the negotiation process. When I use the switch my router states the connection is 100baseTX (full-duplex), however when I bypass the switch it jumps up to 1000baseT (again full-duplex). The "actual" speed in the switch interface says port 1 (which again is the input and orange light) is 100MF. I've tried manually setting it to 1000MF but I immediately get a link down under "actual" and the network crashes until I set it back to automatic which reverts it to 100MF.

I can try to manually force the router to use a 1000baseTX connection with the switch. If that doesn't work maybe I can go straight from my modem to the switch and then into my PC to try to rule out the router? Other than that do you have any suggestions?

If the switch detects it 100Mbps, use a different cable. Or test this cable by the method I told you earlier.

Don't try to force it to 1000Mbps if the cable simply fails the verification on the switch. It does not work at all if the switch thinks the cable is not good enough or capable. It won't make a difference.

In this situation, test the cable and find one that can show a green light.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 451

Replies: 3

Related Articles