TL-SG108E(UN) V6 Firmware update

2024-07-16 04:09:16 - last edited 2024-07-17 01:49:04
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20211209 Rel 52369

Hey,

I have 1 or more issues with the TL-SG108E(UN) V6 Switch.

I own several of the switches and went to update the firmware as the new firmware has security improvments.
So I opened the Easy Smart configureater (ESC) and went to help section.
It then opened the Switch page and I went to firmware section and downloaded the latest firmware.
I then unzipped the firmware and in ESC I went to update firmware section.

I disconnect the port for internet as page says and then started update, and it got to 68% and failed.

I could no longer see the switch in ESC and could not access using web interface.

I called Support who had me try many things but in the end all failed.

I was told to return item as defective and get new and try again.

Well the broken one is gone and new is on the way.

But how can I safely update my other units of the TL-SG108E(UN) V6 Firmware?

I would hate to have an endless supply of bricked units.

EDIT:

Sorry I will add the firmware that came on the TL-SG108E(UN) V6 was 1.0.0 Build 20211209 Rel.52369

So when new on comes should I even attempt to update firmware as I dont find the one above even listed in the firmware page?

Thanks

Gren

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-SG108E(UN) V6 Firmware update-Solution
2024-07-17 01:34:17 - last edited 2024-07-17 01:49:04

Hi @GrenPa 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

You can refer to this guide:

How to Upgrade/Downgrade Omada Switches

Though the page is slightly different, the unzipping and related warnings remain the same.

Don't disconnect any cables during the upgrade. The IP address is assigned to your devices, when you disconnect the uplink to the router, it will cause the connection lost. So, avoid such behavior when upgrading. Leave it alone and it will upgrade. This should be no problem from my experience.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-SG108E(UN) V6 Firmware update-Solution
2024-07-17 01:34:17 - last edited 2024-07-17 01:49:04

Hi @GrenPa 

You can refer to this guide:

How to Upgrade/Downgrade Omada Switches

Though the page is slightly different, the unzipping and related warnings remain the same.

Don't disconnect any cables during the upgrade. The IP address is assigned to your devices, when you disconnect the uplink to the router, it will cause the connection lost. So, avoid such behavior when upgrading. Leave it alone and it will upgrade. This should be no problem from my experience.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TL-SG108E(UN) V6 Firmware update
2024-07-17 22:33:54

@Clive_A 

Hello Clive,

Thanks for the fast reply to my issue, I really appreciate it.

Is the firmware on the Switch TL-SG108E(UN) V6 was 1.0.0 Build 20211209 Rel.52369 The latest or is it old as the date code says its old.

But the website list a different firmware but when flashed to other Switch is a much lower Rel Version.

Thanks

Gren

Options
2024-07-18 01:15:20

Hi @GrenPa 

GrenPa wrote

@Clive_A 

Hello Clive,

Thanks for the fast reply to my issue, I really appreciate it.

Is the firmware on the Switch TL-SG108E(UN) V6 was 1.0.0 Build 20211209 Rel.52369 The latest or is it old as the date code says its old.

But the website list a different firmware but when flashed to other Switch is a much lower Rel Version.

Thanks

Gren

The newer the release date, and build date, the newer firmware it is.

On the global site, the latest one is 20230218.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-sg108e/#Firmware

Options
2024-07-18 21:23:25

@Clive_A 

Hello,

Thanks for the fast reply to my question, but missed one part.

If I install that new version the release version is much lower than currently installed version.
Only the date code appears newer when installed which is why I was asking which is more important the release number or the data code?

The suggested firmware drops the switch lowers the release number if installed.
That is why I just had a switch bricked the update failed and could not be recovered.

So which is better higher Rel number or date?

Thanks

Gren

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 303

Replies: 4

Related Articles