Wireguard no longer works [v2.2.4]

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-29 14:12:28 - last edited 2024-01-30 01:12:24
Tags: #VPN #wireguard
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4

Same config, no longer works after upgrade to 2.2.4

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Wireguard no longer works [v2.2.4]-Solution
2024-01-29 14:26:31 - last edited 2024-01-30 01:12:24

The issue seems to be related to the fact that router in it's infinite wisdom is somehow thinking it has different public IP than it really does...

Current accessible public IP is:

But the router SOMEHOW thinks its this:

What the hell ?! Is this business grade router ?

EDIT: This wasnt it ? Since after re-connecting, the IP shown is correct but still no go for wireguard working...

EDIT2: Resolved after router reboot, this bug with wrong public IP should be investigated and resolved, it is quite bad.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-30 01:05:15 - last edited 2024-01-30 01:12:28

Hi @pdu_ 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

pdu_ wrote

The issue seems to be related to the fact that router in it's infinite wisdom is somehow thinking it has different public IP than it really does...

EDIT: This wasnt it ? Since after re-connecting, the IP shown is correct but still no go for wireguard working...

EDIT2: Resolved after router reboot, this bug with wrong public IP should be investigated and resolved, it is quite bad.

Might take a second to read what IP 100.x.y.z means? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses

And might take a second to contact your ISP and ask why they would assign such an IP to your router?

TBH, I am not happy to read your negative and finger-pointing words, and kind of funny to read through this while the ignorance about the IP address. If you like to point fingers at a normal router while you know nothing about the OSI and subnet, try a different one. You'd experience the same if your ISP assigned such an IP address.

Or Google the IP if it looks strange. It's self-evident.

Bug.. aargh, I am not convinced by your words. Might wanna set up a syslog and monitor if this happens again to see if it is your ISP?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2024-01-29 14:26:31 - last edited 2024-01-30 01:12:24

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-30 01:05:15 - last edited 2024-01-30 01:12:28

Hi @pdu_ 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

pdu_ wrote

Might take a second to read what IP 100.x.y.z means? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses

And might take a second to contact your ISP and ask why they would assign such an IP to your router?

TBH, I am not happy to read your negative and finger-pointing words, and kind of funny to read through this while the ignorance about the IP address. If you like to point fingers at a normal router while you know nothing about the OSI and subnet, try a different one. You'd experience the same if your ISP assigned such an IP address.

Or Google the IP if it looks strange. It's self-evident.

Bug.. aargh, I am not convinced by your words. Might wanna set up a syslog and monitor if this happens again to see if it is your ISP?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Wireguard no longer works [v2.2.4]
2024-01-30 15:42:13 - last edited 2024-01-30 15:51:11

How is this an issue with the ISP ? Tell me. I did not touch the fiber modem at all, its in bridge mode, just rebooted ER605 and problem disappeared. So, isn't this an issue of ER605 and the fact it does not properly refresh all its internal components with new discovered IP ? Because wireguard was still not working when the IP was already refreshed in the GUI after disconnect/connect whatsoever. Also, the internet was working fine all this time. I would suggest to drop this condescending act and fix your stuff.

As for your remark "ask why they would assign such an IP to your router"

I'd suggest you to visit the link you posted (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses) and read a bit:

100.64.0.0/10

Shared address space[4] for communications between a service provider and its subscribers when using a carrier-grade NAT

Which makes me think it has something to do with the modem being in bridged mode and this IP being temporary until pppoe connection is made.

Then it means ER605 fails to properly discover/refresh the IP after the connection is successful.

And still, even after the proper IP is discovered by the ER605, it still doesn't fix the problem with wireguard, until ER605 is actually rebooted.

Nothing truly points to the ISP blame.

Options
2024-01-31 01:06:50

Hi @pdu_

pdu_ wrote

How is this an issue with the ISP ? Tell me. I did not touch the fiber modem at all, its in bridge mode, just rebooted ER605 and problem disappeared. So, isn't this an issue of ER605 and the fact it does not properly refresh all its internal components with new discovered IP ? Because wireguard was still not working when the IP was already refreshed in the GUI after disconnect/connect whatsoever. Also, the internet was working fine all this time. I would suggest to drop this condescending act and fix your stuff.

As for your remark "ask why they would assign such an IP to your router"

I'd suggest you to visit the link you posted (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses) and read a bit:

100.64.0.0/10

Shared address space[4] for communications between a service provider and its subscribers when using a carrier-grade NAT

Which makes me think it has something to do with the modem being in bridged mode and this IP being temporary until pppoe connection is made.

Then it means ER605 fails to properly discover/refresh the IP after the connection is successful.

And still, even after the proper IP is discovered by the ER605, it still doesn't fix the problem with wireguard, until ER605 is actually rebooted.

Nothing truly points to the ISP blame.

I don't like your tongue in your OP because this is a fault in your ISP and you would not ask. If you don't believe me, us, or the forum members, ask somewhere else as well.

And to you, my last reply would be then run the syslog and monitor that. TBH, I am not interested in lecturing you. You are not friendly and finger-pointing in the OP.

Get a clue about 100.x.y.z IP and how DHCP works. That's CGNAT and it would only come out from the ISP.

So the router would get an IP out of nowhere? No DHCP server is involved, so the router generates this 100.x.y.z to fool you?

Is this logical? You're the only person in the four years blaming this on the router and stand by your misinformation.

Just run the syslog and monitor that. Post the whole result of your syslog later on. Let's see. No need to further reply to the message and put the fact(log) before I get back to you and discuss this again.

Options
2024-02-01 10:00:18

@Clive_A and again, whether the cgnat IP is or is not an issue of ISP doesn't matter, you are ignoring this fact:

Even after pppoe disconnect / connect, when proper public IP is discovered by the router, the wireguard didnt work, had to reboot the entire ER605 to get it working again.

So, maybe look in to this.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 707

Replies: 5

Tags

VPN
wireguard
Related Articles