ER605 does not retry VPN connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 does not retry VPN connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:ER605 does not retry VPN connection
2024-02-20 23:17:53

@Clive_A The server has fixed IP but the client doesn't. I may be wrong but my understanding was that for L2TP with IPSec the server needed to validate the client's IP. Maybe a DNS name is enough and DDNS can be used to provide that.

Options
2024-02-20 23:20:38

@MR.S I like the idea of an IPSec (non-L2TP) tunnel. I haven't used these before but it seems the server supports them so if the ER605 does too then this could be a good thing to try to see whether it is more stable. Still a shame the PPTP connection can't be made stable though.

Options
2024-02-21 00:30:29

@NathanJPhillips 

Ok, that's much better detail, thanks.

You CAN use L2TP/IPsec in a client/server method without the client having a static IP.  The issue is with the Auto-IPsec branch-to-branch which TPlink DOES require public statics at either end.

If you set up the ER605 as the L2TP client, it will 'auto-dial' the server whenever the tunnel is down.  For simplicity, test with just L2TP, then apply the IPsec encryption once you have the tunnel mechanics sorted.  I will try to find one of my posts where I show how I set up the client and server ends (it's based on a pair of 605's) and I'm sure you can make the Draytek fall in line.

I cannot speak for PPTP as I never really considered it an option and never spent anytime trying to make it work.  However, I have a couple of years of solid success with the L2TP implementation.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:ER605 does not retry VPN connection-Solution
2024-02-21 00:38:08 - last edited 2024-02-23 02:50:50

@NathanJPhillips 

Have a look at this thread:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/634228?replyId=1269906

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options

Tags

Related Articles