EAP-650 1.0.13 firmware randomly dropping 2.4Ghz client after some time.

EAP-650 1.0.13 firmware randomly dropping 2.4Ghz client after some time.

18 Reply
Re:EAP-650 1.0.13 firmware randomly dropping 2.4Ghz client after some time.
2024-04-19 02:16:53

physh wrote

@mackworth I have a support ticket open, linked to both of our forum posts. They are looking into it but didn't hint at a solution yet.

Hi @physh 

According to your thread record, it seems that it would improve when you changed the WPA mode to WPA2 not includes the WPA3. I will suggest you not to includes the WPA3 currently since the PMF cannot be disabled when the WPA mode contains the WPA3. Please help to monitor whether the connection will be stable after you disable the PMF in WPA2 mode. Thanks.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-04-19 13:30:10

@Hank21 I know you were responding to someone else, but at least in my case mine is set to WPA-Personal -> WPA 2 PSK/ AES and PMF is set to disabled.

Options
2024-04-19 15:37:54

@Hank21 That is correct, WPA2 does not seem to cause the disconnects. And I can confirm I cannot disable PMF when enabling WPA3. The reason why I don't think this is a compatibility issue is because those devices connect just fine in WPA3 mode with PMF set to Capable. But all disconnect later at the same time, and won't reconnect. If it was a compatibility issue, they would not connect in the first place, or disconnect quickly, and in my case they can stay connected for weeks before dropping.

Options
2024-06-26 12:00:14

Same issue here with EAP650(EU) v1.0 with firmware 1.0.15 (and all previous firmware versions). The issue starts completely random: sometimes daily, sometimes it's running fine for weeks. I have 3 SSIDs for 3 VLANs configured, one of those is 2.4GHz only (VLAN 30, IoT). The issue is only present on the 2.4GHz-only SSID. It's always the same bunch of devices that are still connected, but can't communicate anymore. In the controller app, the devices are shown without any IP address from that time on. Packet drops graphs are jumping high on the wireless interface. Last time I took a packet capture while the issue was present on the EAP on the affected interface and on the LAN interface (via Omada controller) and analyzed the captures. I analyzed the traffic with wireshark and here are my findings:

- EAP650 completely stops forwarding TCP packets. You can see that there are TCP SYN requests from LAN, but there's no response to them. Not one TCP packet on the wireless side.

- EAP650 completely stops forwarding ICMP ECHO packets (or the response to them).

- Not one DHCP packet is shown on the wireless interface.

- ARP packets ARE still forwarded.

All devices on the other SSIDs are running fine.

Restarting the EAP solves the problem. I fiddled with the WiFi settings like PMF, Beacon controls etc. The SSID is set up with WPA-Personal and WPA2-PSK/AES. Nothing has ever improved the situation. I am 100% sure the root cause is the EAP. The other EAP115 has never shown any issues and everything else is working fine on the network. Nothing is shown in any log file. I am at the end of my knowledge or possibilities to further track this down. Sadly, not all devices have a LAN port and can be cabled to work around this issue.

Options
2024-06-26 15:27:38

@Arne17 I have a support case open with them and they even had me install version 1.0.90 but I still experienced the issue twice since then.  I have the same experience as you that it seems to happen very randomly, sometimes weeks without issue and then it will happen a bunch of times of the course of a few days.

I sent them a link to your post.

Options
2024-06-26 15:30:15

@mackworth I have a case open as well, but so far nothing has worked. I'm on EAP-653s and none of the recommendations they sent have made a difference.

Options
2024-07-01 03:18:53

Hi  @Arne17 

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on the TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID TKID240700933, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Arne17 wrote

Same issue here with EAP650(EU) v1.0 with firmware 1.0.15 (and all previous firmware versions). The issue starts completely random: sometimes daily, sometimes it's running fine for weeks. I have 3 SSIDs for 3 VLANs configured, one of those is 2.4GHz only (VLAN 30, IoT). The issue is only present on the 2.4GHz-only SSID. It's always the same bunch of devices that are still connected, but can't communicate anymore. In the controller app, the devices are shown without any IP address from that time on. Packet drops graphs are jumping high on the wireless interface. Last time I took a packet capture while the issue was present on the EAP on the affected interface and on the LAN interface (via Omada controller) and analyzed the captures. I analyzed the traffic with wireshark and here are my findings:

- EAP650 completely stops forwarding TCP packets. You can see that there are TCP SYN requests from LAN, but there's no response to them. Not one TCP packet on the wireless side.

- EAP650 completely stops forwarding ICMP ECHO packets (or the response to them).

- Not one DHCP packet is shown on the wireless interface.

- ARP packets ARE still forwarded.

All devices on the other SSIDs are running fine.

Restarting the EAP solves the problem. I fiddled with the WiFi settings like PMF, Beacon controls etc. The SSID is set up with WPA-Personal and WPA2-PSK/AES. Nothing has ever improved the situation. I am 100% sure the root cause is the EAP. The other EAP115 has never shown any issues and everything else is working fine on the network. Nothing is shown in any log file. I am at the end of my knowledge or possibilities to further track this down. Sadly, not all devices have a LAN port and can be cabled to work around this issue.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-07-01 20:41:18

@Fae Thanks for opening a ticket! I've sent over the captures with some additional information just now. Looking forward to hearing from your engineers. I'll keep everyone updated here if there's any progress.

Options