Wired mesh

Wired mesh
Wired mesh
2024-05-08 16:49:38
Tags: #Mesh
Model: EAP650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.13 Build 20240131 Rel. 45057

Hello, I probably have a problem with the mesh.

I have already read several threads on this forum regarding mesh, including its lack of validity or impossibility of connecting all access points by wire.

However, is it possible to create a mesh network when two access points are connected by wire?

I'll explain now.

Since I have several devices connected to the Wi-Fi network at home, I wanted to put them in a separate guest network (but still treated as one network), because some of the devices that form "one whole" are located both on the first floor of my house and on the ground floor.

The problem is that between the first floor and the ground floor there is a reinforced concrete ceiling, which seriously reduces the quality of any wifi.

Hence, after purchasing a TP-Link PoE Switch, which I connected to my router and to which I connected two EAP 650s, one of which I placed on the first floor and the other on the ground floor, both powered by POE (there is no other way to power it on the upper floor).

After installing the local OMADA controller on my computer, it turned out that I couldn't set up the mesh I wanted. Currently, everything is dialing as I wanted, the signal is beautiful both on the main floor and on the front end, along with private and guest networks, but the problem is that without a mesh network that would switch the AP to the one with a better signal quality, if the devices "catch" a signal from the wrong AP (and their ranges interlock because of the "1/4 bars of range" that goes through the ceiling), the speed is terrible without disconnecting and reconnecting with the closer AP.

All this would be solved by mesh. However, creating a mesh when the range between one AP and another without a cable is only "one line" makes no sense, hence the cable (and because of power supply problems).

So is there any way to set up mesh over wired connections?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Wired mesh
2024-05-09 07:23:13

Salaver wrote

Hello, I probably have a problem with the mesh.

I have already read several threads on this forum regarding mesh, including its lack of validity or impossibility of connecting all access points by wire.

However, is it possible to create a mesh network when two access points are connected by wire?

I'll explain now.

Since I have several devices connected to the Wi-Fi network at home, I wanted to put them in a separate guest network (but still treated as one network), because some of the devices that form "one whole" are located both on the first floor of my house and on the ground floor.

The problem is that between the first floor and the ground floor there is a reinforced concrete ceiling, which seriously reduces the quality of any wifi.

Hence, after purchasing a TP-Link PoE Switch, which I connected to my router and to which I connected two EAP 650s, one of which I placed on the first floor and the other on the ground floor, both powered by POE (there is no other way to power it on the upper floor).

After installing the local OMADA controller on my computer, it turned out that I couldn't set up the mesh I wanted. Currently, everything is dialing as I wanted, the signal is beautiful both on the main floor and on the front end, along with private and guest networks, but the problem is that without a mesh network that would switch the AP to the one with a better signal quality, if the devices "catch" a signal from the wrong AP (and their ranges interlock because of the "1/4 bars of range" that goes through the ceiling), the speed is terrible without disconnecting and reconnecting with the closer AP.

All this would be solved by mesh. However, creating a mesh when the range between one AP and another without a cable is only "one line" makes no sense, hence the cable (and because of power supply problems).

So is there any way to set up mesh over wired connections?

Hi @Salaver 

I assume that you would like to have the fast roaming between the APs. Mesh function means that that satellite EAPs can connect to the root EAP wirelessly without a cable.

Fast Roaming is a feature that allows your Wi-Fi clients to switch their connection from one EAP to another EAP in a wireless Mesh quickly to get stronger Wi-Fi signal, improving your Wi-Fi experience as well as optimizing the load of each EAP by adjusting the number of clients connected to them.

To enable fast roaming, please select a site from the drop-down list of Organization in the top-right corner, go to Settings > Site, and enable Advanced Features in Services first. Then configure the roaming features in Advanced Features.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-10 21:58:37

@Salaver 

can you post a screenshot of the omada controller and whether the TL POE switch and EAP 650s are adopted into the Site?

Options
2024-05-11 09:07:19

@GLow75 

I have a Switch model TL-SG105PE and open on firewall: ports 29810 UDP, TCP 29811, TCP 29812, TCP 29813, TCP 29814, TCP 29815, TCP 29816. However, the switch is not detected by OMADA, so its management is probably not supported by the controller.

Options
2024-07-19 03:50:19

@Salaver 

Hi there, sorry for the late reply.

This TL-SG105PE is not a OMADA level switch therefore cannot be detected by the OMADA Controller.

Options
2024-07-19 14:21:07 - last edited 2024-07-19 14:29:14

@Salaver turn on all Omada roaming features, including k/v with a preference for 5 GHz.  Do NOT turn on 802.11r as that doesn't apply for a typical home network and will create issues for you.  I have a separate post on that!  

In the above screen shot for roaming, select Fast Roaming, AI Roaming, Dual Band 11k Report, do not select force dissassociation, and for Band Steering, select Prefer 5 GHz.  802.11r is on another screen... do NOT select that. 

Note that MESH refers to providing a wireless tether to an AP that is not otherwise connected to your network through Ethernet.  Roaming is the process of clients moving seamlessly from one AP to another.  

A common issue is that for 2.4 GHz we typically use 20 MHz bandwidth, which will limit your download speeds...  an issue depending on what you are doing.  While at 5 GHz, typically uses 80 MHz BW for much faster speeds.  With the extra BW and only 1/3rd range of 5 GHz, if you don't have sufficient 5 GHz overlap, your devices will end up on 2.4 GHz when walking between them ... resulting in the slower speeds.  use an app like WiFiMan Analyzer onto an Android phone to see what is going on and if this is indeed what is happening.  Another "blind" way to test... when you are experiencing slower speeds, turn off your phone's WiFi... wait 5 seconds, then turn it back on while close to the AP you are testing.  Your phone will reselect and connect to 5 GHz band assuming enough signal, and your speedtest will be significantly better.  

Hope this helps.  

RF Dude

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 373

Replies: 5

Tags

Related Articles