Third Party IP Cameras with Android Vigi App?

2024-07-15 05:58:22 - last edited 2024-07-16 02:10:54

I wasn't able to find it in documentation or prior discussions.

Is it possible to link third party IP cameras to the Vigi app for viewing/sharing?

I'm currently using a Vigi camera and the app to manage it, but I'm thinking of getting a generic 180° IP camera that supports ONVIF and I wonder if I can manage them both with the Vigi app. 

Or else, can anyone recommend another app that can manage both cameras, the most important feature being remote viewing?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Third Party IP Cameras with Android Vigi App?-Solution
2024-07-16 01:08:35 - last edited 2024-07-16 02:10:54

Hi @Chris-O 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

You probably need to link the VIGI security manager to the VIGI app. Not the third-party camera to the VIGI app.

It does not work that way. The VIGI is using the proprietary protocols for the streams. The server is hosted by us and we pay for the upload bandwidth. Of course we cannot let third-party cameras use our service for free.

VIGI security manager can add ONVIF cams and you access the VSM first before viewing the third-party cameras. However, the result is unclear to us if that can satisfy your needs. You may try this and see if it can meet your needs.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Third Party IP Cameras with Android Vigi App?-Solution
2024-07-16 01:08:35 - last edited 2024-07-16 02:10:54

Hi @Chris-O 

You probably need to link the VIGI security manager to the VIGI app. Not the third-party camera to the VIGI app.

It does not work that way. The VIGI is using the proprietary protocols for the streams. The server is hosted by us and we pay for the upload bandwidth. Of course we cannot let third-party cameras use our service for free.

VIGI security manager can add ONVIF cams and you access the VSM first before viewing the third-party cameras. However, the result is unclear to us if that can satisfy your needs. You may try this and see if it can meet your needs.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Third Party IP Cameras with Android Vigi App?
2024-07-16 08:13:34

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your answer! I hope you can also respond to a few follow up questions.

Does the device running the VSM then become the server for the camera stream? 

To the same effect, if I use a Vigi NVR  and connect a third party camera and a Vigi camera, would I be able to remotely manage/view both cameras from the Vigi app?

Options
2024-07-16 08:20:12

Hi @Chris-O 

Chris-O wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your answer! I hope you can also respond to a few follow up questions.

Does the device running the VSM then become the server for the camera stream? 

To the same effect, if I use a Vigi NVR  and connect a third party camera and a Vigi camera, would I be able to remotely manage/view both cameras from the Vigi app?

Yes. It should not be powered off as long as you want to access the cameras.

Correct. You can. However, the third-party camera may have limited access to configs as ONVIF may not open every parameter.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Chris-O 

Hi Chris, did you get the non-tp-link camera to work?

I have had the same idea in that I would like to use a third-party ip doorbell/entrance intercom. It makes sense to have the entrance intercom connected to the ip camera network and to be able to monitor it from my phone when I need to. 

Options
2 weeks ago

@woteva 

No, I wasn't able to pick up the feed from the thrid party camera through the Vigi App. I resorted to using two different apps - one for each camera. 

To manage both camera from one app, the Vigi moderator who replied to this thread suggested connecting both cameras to Vigi software on a computer or a NVR and then connecting that to the Vigi App. You could also maybe find a third party app that can manage both the Vigi and third party camera, but you may not get all of the Vigi features from your Vigi camera.

Mind that this is my first time setting up IP cameras and I did so in a scramble before traveling away. I'll probably do some more digging into this when I get back.

Do let me know if you find a solution. Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 281

Replies: 5

Related Articles