ICMP forwarding
ICMP forwarding
2024-07-27 13:48:11 - last edited 2024-07-29 01:13:37
Tags: #NAT
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

Hello.

How can I forward ICMP packets from router to LAN device? I didn't find it in "Virtual servers" feature. There are only TCP and UDP packets. I tried to add my device to NAT-DNZ table but it doesn't forward ICMP packets

Options
3 Reply
Re:ICMP forwarding
2024-07-29 01:11:22

Hi @Semyon98 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I am not sure your description is correct.

First, the ICMP from LAN to WAN will be NAT-ed and it will work by the WAN pinging a WAN IP.

Second, there is no option to port forward ICMP. I think what is described is not proper in networking.

I think NAT knowledge and port forwarding should be what you studied later to understand how things work.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-07-29 20:02:55

@Clive_A 

I needed to forward ICMP from the GLOBAL NETWORK to the LOCAL NETWORK, not vice versa. That is, so that ICMP packets from the outside reach a specific device located in the local network with TP-Link ER605. This is done through iptables. Exactly the same as with port forwarding (TCP/UDP). There is a way on the Internet to enter the "root" of ER605. It was enough for me to set only three iptables rules to do what I want. That's horrible that it's unavailable in GUI mode. However ICMP forwarding is almost the same as TCP/UDP forwarding, just another protocol

Options
2024-07-30 01:01:40

Hi @Semyon98 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Semyon98 wrote

@Clive_A 

I needed to forward ICMP from the GLOBAL NETWORK to the LOCAL NETWORK, not vice versa. That is, so that ICMP packets from the outside reach a specific device located in the local network with TP-Link ER605. This is done through iptables. Exactly the same as with port forwarding (TCP/UDP). There is a way on the Internet to enter the "root" of ER605. It was enough for me to set only three iptables rules to do what I want. That's horrible that it's unavailable in GUI mode. However ICMP forwarding is almost the same as TCP/UDP forwarding, just another protocol

1. We don't help any sort of "root" login. Nor do we provide a way to enter it.

2. We don't support such a configuration as the ICMP you described.

About what you expect to do, I think it is not possible as external ports can be different but ICMP is not a protocol/port that you can specify. From the external, you cannot specify the port/protocol if it is coming as an ICMP.

For the internal, you cannot specify that either and how would it be possible for you to allow it to be NAT-ed?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 186

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles