Can ER7206 be an OpenVPN Client and Server at the same time?

2024-08-12 06:57:46
Tags: #VPN #OpenVPN #NordVPN
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.2 Build 20240618 Rel.63827

Yet another VPN question.

Can the ER7206 be both an OpenVPN Client and OpenVPN Server at the same time?

I have the ER7206 set up as an OpenVPN Server for Windows and iOS devices using OpenVPN Connect.

Can I get the ER7206 to use OpenVPN with NordVPN to secure all outbound traffic at he same time?

I have 2 ISPs for WAN access. Each has a OpenVPN server defined. If one is down and does not connect, the client tries the 2nd manually.

The clients use OpenVPN Connect and get to all the LAN resources and outbound to the Internet after they connect.

The next step is to setup an OpenVPN Client to NordVPN and use that for all outbound traffic.

There are tutorials for setting the OpenVPN Client up, but none that I found show both Server and Client configurations running at the same time.

Is this supported? 

I have to sign up for a NordVPN subscription before I can try it and don't want to waste money of it doesn't.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can ER7206 be an OpenVPN Client and Server at the same time?
2024-08-12 13:16:04 - last edited 2024-08-12 13:20:32

@ticedoff8 

yes, you can have server and client at the same time.
Nordvpn, probably not. Omada is not very compatible with 3rd party OpenVPN providers.

Omada routers are mostly built for Omada routers to Omada routers.

there is talk of an upgrade in Omada 5.15/5.16 with policy route and hopefully there will be a major upgrade of OpenVPN as well

Options
Re:Can ER7206 be an OpenVPN Client and Server at the same time?
2024-08-13 04:05:20 - last edited 2024-08-13 04:19:20

@MR.S 

Thanks for the reply.

The configuration guide from NordVPN was somewhat helpful for this. But, it was drafted using an older version of the routerOS or maybe a different model TP-Link.

I didn't get any glaring warning messages and it looks like the ER7206 "thinks" the OpenVPN Tunnels are up.

The web site "whatsmyipaddress" shows me the NordVPN IP address instead of either of the 2 ISP's addresses and the NordVPN Account dashboard shows "Your connection is protected" even without adding any to the PC.

And, my laptop PC and iPad can both still connect to the ER7206 using their OpenVPN Connect clients with no changes at all. They appear to be working the same as they did an hour ago before I started this.

I used the NordVPN dashboard's "Setup NordVPN Manually" to pick the country and the server to download their OpenVPN UDP config file.

Then I created the new OpenVPN Client, changed the "Mode:" to CA+PWD" and added the NordVPN username and password (supplied by NordVPN) and uploaded the config file I downloaded from NordVPN. 

The router wants a "Remote Server", but will not accept a FQDN, so I did an nslookup of the name of their VPN server (us8518.nordvpn.com) to get the IP address

Then selected the "WAN:" to be "WAN" and then saved it. 

It is enabled, and the OpenVPN Tunnel" shows it's been up for 20 minutes.

Since, I have two ISP and they are configured to load balance, I created a 2nd OpenVPN Client using the same details as the first and saved it. It came online too.

I'll check speed and stabilty and update if there is anything dramatic to report.

Options