How to open ports?

How to open ports?
How to open ports?
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Tags: #NAT
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 Build 20240117 Rel.57421

I feel this ought to be a simple thing to do, but somehow I can't seem to get it right.

I'm trying to forward a port from our external address to a mongodb server running in a container. I went into Transmission -> NAT and created a new rule:

as well as a new ACL rule:

However, nmap shows the port as filtered and it is not possible to connect to the database. Where do I need to do something to make this work?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to open ports?-Solution

I had a look at our configuration in general, and noticed that the external address is differrent from the address that has been set on the WAN interface; would that explain why it doesn't work? Oddly, though, our VPN clients use the external address and work fine.

Edit: mystery solved - I got the wrong, external address, it actually works now. Sorry for wasting your time - and thanks for helping.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:How to open ports?
2 weeks ago

@j4nd3r53n 

delete the ACL rule and try again, you should not use ACL when using port forwarding.

you must also have a public ip on the WAN interface.

Options
2 weeks ago
@MR.S Thank you for replying. I've deleted the ACL, but it makes no difference, the port still shows up as filtered in nmap.
Options
2 weeks ago

@j4nd3r53n 

then you don't have a public ip, do you have several routers on the WAN?

Options
2 weeks ago
We do have a public IP, and there is only one router.
Options
2 weeks ago

@j4nd3r53n 

then I don't know, the port forward that you have created is correct. so then it has to stop somewhere else

Options
Re:How to open ports?-Solution

I had a look at our configuration in general, and noticed that the external address is differrent from the address that has been set on the WAN interface; would that explain why it doesn't work? Oddly, though, our VPN clients use the external address and work fine.

Edit: mystery solved - I got the wrong, external address, it actually works now. Sorry for wasting your time - and thanks for helping.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 146

Replies: 6

Tags

Related Articles