Network Performance Issues with Access Points

a week ago
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.1.0

Hello, 

Some time ago, I set up a network for a charity organization, using an OC200 (Controller Version 5.14.26.23, Firmware Version: 1.31.3 Build 20240620 Rel.80383).

Unfortunately, I had to visit the site one evening because the entire network was under stress.

I noticed that the CPU usage was high. This issue was resolved after I set a static IPv4 address for the controller. Initially, the IPv4 address was assigned via a DHCP reservation. 

The access points became reachable again, as I had previously received a message indicating that the heartbeat was missed.

I monitored the network for a few days, and now everything seems to be working reasonably well, except for the access points, which still exhibit high CPU usage.

I ensured that all devices have a static IPv4 address. This includes the controller, switches (which already had a static IPv4), and the access points (which previously received an IPv4 address via DHCP reservation).

However, the CPU usage of the access points remains high. This includes the EAP245(EU) v3 and the EAP225-Outdoor(EU) v1.0 and v3.0 (all with firmware 5.1.6).

The network is utilizing 15 VLANs, including the management VLAN.

Currently, there are four SSIDs, one of which uses 'PPKS without RADIUS', while the remaining three use WPA-Personal.

I believe the major issues began when I introduced a third SSID. This is a temporary network that will be removed along with another SSID in the near future.

Could this configuration be too demanding for the access points?

There are approximately 50 clients: 25 wired, 25 wireless. 

Thanks.

TP-Link EAP245(EU) v3.0

Options
1 Reply
Re:Network Performance Issues with Access Points
a week ago

Hi  @Bouke 

If you notice that your CPU is relatively high when sitting idle, don't worry. Please self-examine based on the following suggestions before you reach technical support:

1. Check if you experience any performance issues.

2. Check if your log shows any warning messages of hitting the CPU threshold level.

If you don't see the mentioned issues above, then you don't have to worry about it.

To keep the system running, after the bootup and loading of the services and features, it will remain a level of CPU and memory usage for the basic functionalities you have enabled and loaded. As long as this does not fluctuate greatly or reach the warning level, it should be fine.

If there is any issue, please let us know more details.

BTW, there are only 50 clients in total, maybe you don't need 15 VLANs. You may delete some unnecessary configuration.

Options