WiFi roaming on tl-wpa4220

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-31 09:50:11
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi this is my first post, my knowledge if tech issue will make it NOT my last.
I have just installed a TL-WPA4220 kit and a single adapter.
When I turn on my wifi I now see three networks in my home, as well as the neighbours networks.
The original network from my router and the new two from my adapters.
If I change the SSID and passwords on the adapters to the same as the router I will still see three networks albeit all the same name.
My questions:
When I first bring up my wifi logon page is the strongest network the first in the list.? Do the visible networks go from strongest to weakest down the list of visible networks? Once logged in to a network moving my iPad or iPhone from room to room will the iPad pick up the strongest network and change to the strongest network automatically as I move around the house?
Thanks
Options
2 Reply
Re:WiFi roaming on tl-wpa4220
2017-09-01 18:14:03
That largely depends on your computer device. Some computers or phones will only display one network if more than one network has the same name. And usually it will show the signal strength of each network. This guide will explain WiFi roaming:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-593.html
Options
Re:WiFi roaming on tl-wpa4220
2020-10-24 08:11:31 - last edited 2020-10-24 08:14:29

A TL-WPA4220 cannot roam (seamlessly when walking around in your house), meaning it cannot pick the WiFi signal from the TL-WPA4220 even if you sit close in front of it if your devices are connected with your main router WiFi.

If you plan to set up the TL-WPA4220 to extend your WiFi coverage, you need to make sure that the WiFi range of all your WiFi adapters does not overlap, meaning to put them as far apart as you an or reduce the transmit power so that each WiFi Extender device cannot see the other one. The Powerline connection would then transmit the internet signal so that you still have Internet at the far away location.

In such a scenario, if you leave one WiFi signal transmitting devices range and enter the range of another one, your WiFi connection will drop and you will after you walked further into the range of your 2nd WiFi Extender device will connect to that one.

Range Extenders per se are a very "dumb" concept, they cannot roam. To roam you would need to invest in a WiFi Mesh system, the WiFi Mesh system would intelligently operate and your devices will get the WiFi from the strongest Mesh device near your position without any drop in connection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 711

Replies: 2

Related Articles