Help with optimal settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-30 07:45:40
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi, all. I've got my system set up, but being a networking-challenged individual I have a few questions. First, I'm a little confused about how my system should be configured. My home has an ONU which I've connected one Deco to. My ISP requires PPPoE login, which I have within the ONU. When I tried to connect using a dynamic IP, I had really sluggish speeds. I switched to PPPoE in IPv4 in the Deco app with the same login, and speeds picked up. Is that correct? My setup doesn't really allow for Ethernet backhauling as the cables from where the ONU are only include one connection, so I've daisy-chained the Decos together. Is there a better way to connect? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Options
8 Reply
Re:Help with optimal settings
2017-10-30 08:36:12
Another question to add to the pile: Can more than one Deco unit be connected to the modem within the same network?
Options
2017-10-30 15:07:55
Your configuration is right. It is recommended to setup the first deco as wireless router.
The IPv4 connection type is decided by the ONU, which should be PPPoE for your case.

For other deco, you can setup them to repeater, or ethernet backhaul as below:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1592.html
It is not suggested to connect two deco to a same modem, otherwise it is not a mesh network.
Options
2017-10-30 16:25:24

Kevin SG wrote

Your configuration is right. It is recommended to setup the first deco as wireless router.
The IPv4 connection type is decided by the ONU, which should be PPPoE for your case.

Thank you, Kevin SG. I had PPPoE on the ONU and on the Deco, but only when logged in to both does it seem stable. My speed must just be an issue of something else upstream.

On a related note, can you explain why I am not given an IPv6 IP address when signed in with PPPoE credentials but I am given one when using Dynamic IP? Is that normal?
Options
2017-10-31 07:01:31
I played around with my setup a bit last night and found that the Deco is not connecting via IPv6. Straight from the ONU I can verify connectivity, but with the Deco I can only get IPv4. This is even after playing with the WAN settings in the app...no combo seems to work.
Options
2017-10-31 16:11:54
Did you enable IPv6 on the deco app?
You can choose bridge for the IPv6 connection type.
Options
2017-11-01 08:19:44

vieldcs wrote

Did you enable IPv6 on the deco app?
You can choose bridge for the IPv6 connection type.

Yes, IPv6 is enabled in the app. No IP address is listed, and PPPoE (stateless) seems to give me the best speed results. IPv6 check websites still show me as not connecting, though.

Bridge did NOT help...it kicked my system completely offline and I had to reset everything under a new network.
Options
2017-11-01 09:51:37
Normally, the connection for IPV4 and IPv6 are same. The connection type for IPv4 is PPPoE, then the connection type for IPv6 should be PPPOE.
As for stateless or stateful , it is also depends by your internet service provider.
Options
2017-11-01 10:16:44

Enson Loo wrote

Normally, the connection for IPV4 and IPv6 are same. The connection type for IPv4 is PPPoE, then the connection type for IPv6 should be PPPOE.
As for stateless or stateful , it is also depends by your internet service provider.

Thank you. I'm currently using stateless PPPoE. I'm not given an IP address, but I'm having no connection issues so far, so I guess I shouldn't worry.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 906

Replies: 8

Related Articles