Deco decided to change DHCP range. WHY ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-22 17:42:48
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

When I installed my DECO router it decided to use DHCP range 192.168.0.x (I did not find an option to change this). I have a large network at home with lots of iot-devices. For some devices I have to rely on a fixed ip-address. I have made DHCP reservations for these devices.

Last night DECO decided to change the DHCP to 192.168.1.x. This broke my Domotica because I rely on fixed ip-address (DHCP reservations), DECO changed all these reservations to 192.168.1.x

Besides the fact that it is plain stupid to not be able to set the DHCP-range: How do I change the DHCP range back to 192.168.0.x and how do I prevent the DECO from changing it again ?

I'm happy with the mesh-wifi and the speed but really TP-Links, this is one half-baked router !
Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco decided to change DHCP range. WHY ?
2017-11-24 18:00:33
Will be able to change the LAN IP address soon with new firmware release. Does your modem change anything that may cause the Deco to change the DHCP?
Options
2017-11-25 15:20:16
How soon is soon? I bought the Deco and took this for granted. Our network is based on another domainsetting and I do not want to change all devices, too much work.
If not in a couple of days, I will return the system. Thanks for quick response.
Options
2017-11-27 16:40:19
being a Deco fan, and enjoying the mesh experience so far, it is a shame to see someone get discouraged by tiny software inconveniences.
First of all I don't believe your router would keep changing its LAN IP.
Secondly the address reservation on the Deco is actually quite simple, by far the easiest one I have tested, even if you have to reserve 16 addresses, a few taps on the Deco APP would do the trick.
Options
2017-11-28 00:39:00

matt wrote

being a Deco fan, and enjoying the mesh experience so far, it is a shame to see someone get discouraged by tiny software inconveniences.
First of all I don't believe your router would keep changing its LAN IP.
Secondly the address reservation on the Deco is actually quite simple, by far the easiest one I have tested, even if you have to reserve 16 addresses, a few taps on the Deco APP would do the trick.

Read before responding. I know address-reservation and I did make address-reservation. The Deco is so smart that it even changes these address-reservations:

DHCP was 192.168.0.x, Deco changed this to 192.168.1.x, DHCP address-reservations were changed accordingly.

This router may be great for an average Joe with a few pc's and devices but the software is far too limited for an experienced user. Not being able to set the DHCP range is not a feature, it's a bug.
Options
2017-11-28 16:42:00
Last night it happened again, modem reboot and DECO is back on the 192.168.0.* and DHCP reservations updated accordingly and thus breaking my network AGAIN. I'm going back to a normal router and put the Deco in AP-mode until TP-Link sorts out the software. My experience with the Deco has been very disappointing so far and that is solely because of the very, very limited software.
Options
2017-11-29 04:59:24

matt wrote

being a Deco fan, and enjoying the mesh experience so far, it is a shame to see someone get discouraged by tiny software inconveniences.First of all I don't believe your router would keep changing its LAN IP.Secondly the address reservation on the Deco is actually quite simple, by far the easiest one I have tested, even if you have to reserve 16 addresses, a few taps on the Deco APP would do the trick.
Not being able to set an IP-range does not register under “tiny software inconvenience”. I have a present LAN where printers, computers, NAS etc are set to an IP-range other than the DECO default. Changing all this is not worth the hustle. It was way easier returning the kit and buy another one. I do agree that setting up the Deco was super simple and that is perfect for many users, however not for me. I’m puzzled though, I have bought quite a few routers both for home and for the office and this is the first one where this is not possible.Also, I wasn’t all that impressed with the switching action of a device between access points, I could not get it to stream seamlessly. E.g. there was always a glitch of a few seconds in the music while streaming to our network speakers when walking in my house, thus moving my iPhone from one side of the network to the other.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3067

Replies: 6