How does wifi hotspot via TL-WPA8630 work in simple English?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-24 19:47:04
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi - I installed the AV1200 Gigabit Powerline ac Wi-Fi L-WPA8630 KIT yesterday to our router. I connected the powerlines & wired download from extender is around 55 Mbps (broadband input to router should be 76 Mbps download, generally averages around 60). I also paired the devices for WiFi using WPS button on router & Extender CLONE button - (Router is an ISP (TalkTalk) provided Huawei Super Router HG635 - before buying the current powerline extender option I tried the NETGEAR D7800-100UKS Nighthawk AC2600 Dual Band 11 AC (MU-MIMO Wi-Fi) VDSL/ADSL Modem Router, but no improvement in ethernet or WiFi speeds). Pairing of Adapter & Extender was successful as was the WiFi Clone in that the tpPLC shows the devices & the laptop picks up the WiFi SSIDs. What I now have is weaker 2.4 & 5G Router WiFi signals, but STRONGER (and new!) 2.4 & 5G EXTENDER WiFi signals. So my query(ies):
1) I thought the WiFi synching button (CLONE) on the Extender would rename & synch the WiFi SSID & PW to that of the ROUTER - appears not to have done this, & instead "put the primary WiFi" (NOT tech speak but hope you know what I mean) onto the 2.4 & 5G EXTENDER WiFi signals. Thus if I sit in same room as where the TP-LINK extender is, then my strongest two signals (2.4 & 5G) are for the Extender Wifi SSIDs, & not my original router. This is sort of OK, but5 means ghaving to swap between SSIDs depending on which part of the house I am in. So I was wrong in my assumption about what the WiFi Clone button does - correct?
2) So I assume what I should do is use the tpPLC & rename the TP-LINK WIFI back to my original router WiFi SSIDs & PWs. I cannot find this explicitly stated so would appreciate confirmation.
3) Can somebody please explain, preferably in SIMPLE English with words of one syllable, how the creation of a WiFi hotspot works. I am NOT convinced the extender has done very much regarding strengthening my signal. (I am using the Netgear Genie to look at signal strength, channel # etc - I can paste these if this would help).
With many thanks
Options
2 Reply
Re:How does wifi hotspot via TL-WPA8630 work in simple English?
2017-11-27 15:52:33
1. WiFi Clone will copy the SSID and password of your router. If the strength of the wireless signal from extender is better than the router, it will switch to connect the extender automatically.
2. In tpPLC Utility, it is a icon named "global", click it and you can log in the web management and rename the WiFi.
3. The signal from PLC can be regard as a new one. it couldn't extender the WiFi you have but it can create a new one.
Options
Re:How does wifi hotspot via TL-WPA8630 work in simple English?
2017-11-30 04:43:57
Thank you for your reply - much appreciated. Below, I copy a reply from TP-LINK's tech helpdesk (Bessie Liang) which I also found helpful (including the link she gives, & http://uk.tp-link.com/faq-592.html:)

Wi-Fi Clone means you have 1 powerline adapter and 1 powerline extender, and powerline extender has the wifi function. When you press the wifi button on the powerline extender, it will copy the wifi name and wifi password from your main router and to be the same wifi name and wifi password as your main router.

Wi-Fi Auto-Sync means you have 1 poowerline adapter and at least 2 powerline extenders. When the powerline extender A has copy the wifi name and wifi password from the main router, and after you pairing the powerline extender B with powerline extender A, then the wifi name and wifi password on the powerline extender A will automatically transfer to extender B. You don't need to press the wifi button to make the two powerline extender to have the same wifi name as your main router.

Generally speaking, Wi-Fi Auto-Sync means the settings information will automatically transfer between the powerline extender. It doesn't mean the wifi name will be automatically transfer. If you want to the wifi can be transfer to the better wifi automatically, please refer to the link below to build a roaming wireless network between your wireless router and TP-Link Wi-Fi Powerline Extender.
http://uk.tp-link.com/faq-593.html
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 651

Replies: 2