Powerlines dropping connection??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-28 00:13:21
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a pair of TL-PA4010's to provide the internet connection to my BT Vision box, in addition to TP-Link wifi extenders elsewhere in the house. This setup has been up and running for a couple of years without problem, but just recently the BT Vision internet connection has been dropping out without warning, whilst the internet connection to the pc's etc continues to work fine.

When this occurs, there appears to be nothing I can do to restore the situation, but then, out of the blue, after a suitable delay everything will come back and off we go again working perfectly. As is often the case with this sort of problem the connection always seems to drop at the most inconvenient time and it was beginning to drive me mad.

My original intention with this post was to look for help in solving the problem, but more by luck than judgement I now seem to have stumbled across what I think might be the root cause. It is not certain yet that everything is now working - it could just be one of those times when the system came back of its own accord. So, I am keen to hear from anyone who can either confirm my theory or possibly provide an alternative solution.

The problem as I see it is caused by sharing the same double power outlet for the Powerline and the BT Vision PSU. By mistake I turned off power to the PSU instead of the Powerline and the Powerline LED immediately came back on. I repeated the process a few times when the connection had been lost and it always seemed to restore the Powerline LED. I have now moved the PSU to another socket on an extension lead and left the Powerline plugged directly into the socket. Since that time things have been working fine, but not yet long enough to conclusively say that the problem is solved.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has had similar problems and solved them in this or some other way. Alternatively, for someone suffering as I was, this might be a possible solution you could try. Why this should be the solution, I have no idea, but moving the PSU seems to be working for now. I do have something else still plugged into the same double socket, but it is not a power brick plugged direct in to the socket, as was the case.

Anyone else got any ideas or thoughts on the subject?
Options
5 Reply
Re:Powerlines dropping connection??
2017-11-28 10:54:34
maybe it influences the signal in circuit? it may use the same frequence as powerline.
Options
2017-11-29 21:58:14
Hi P0et,

Thanks for your reply. I can believe they are interfering with each somehow, but given that neither is a wireless or device or obviously emitting any radio waves, I struggle to understand how.

Still maybe that's the "joy" of working with computer hardware and software etc i.e. in spite of the fact that everything should have a logical reason, not everything can always be explained.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Brian.
Options
2017-12-01 08:35:01
Poorly designed power supplies can fire noise back into the mains circuit. Plug those things into line filters to keep the noise away. A handy solution are PLCs with a passthrough jack, for these contain a filtering circuit that does exactly that - intended to keep PLC high frequency noise away from the connected device, but also working in the other direction we need here.
Options
2017-12-02 01:33:00
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the explanation. The longer everything goes on working the more it makes me think you must be right. So far things are running great and I even have better speeds via the PLC's than I saw before. Thanks for the suggestion about passthrough. Although I have moved the PSU, I did wonder if it might still have an impact even though it is now a bit more remote from the PLC. If the problem does re-occur, I think a passthrough PLC might be the next thing to try, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

Thanks again for your input.

Brian.
Options
2017-12-02 05:44:37
Oh well, pride comes before a fall! Unfortunately, I spoke to soon and the problem has re-occurred.

Without warning the internet signal was lost on my BT Vision box and on investigation the Powerline LED was off. Nothing I tried would bring it back, but eventually it came back of its own accord and normal service was resumed.

Any other suggestions for what the cause might be would be gratefully received.
Options